Mr John

Default How do I create a Fixed Text Box

PLEASE HELP
I am a school teacher and have been asked to create/set out a new student
report document for teachers.

I have been asked to create a document which has several text boxes in but
that are fixed (i.e. in size, font, location on page, etc).
This means that the different subjects will have a text box to
enterinformation in. These boxes need to be fixed.
The amount of text a teacher can put in is controled. Teachers can not move
the text box around or make it bigger to enter more text in. The size and
style of the font is also fixed. etc etc.
I can make a text box, but when i enter text into it and I get to the bottom
of it, the box gets bigger or the text dissapears out of the text box (but
not onto the main document).

In conclusion I want to make text boxes (or is it frames?) where a teacher
will open up the template report for a child. They will see several text
boxes which I have created and they will be able to enter text into these
text boxes. The style is fixed. The text box can not be made bigger to
accept more text. Everything is fixed.

I have tried looking in the help section and can not find anything simple to
follow.
If you are able to help please provide simple, step by step instructions.

Yours gratefuly

John
Graham Mayor

Use a table with appropriately bordered cells and set the cell sizes to
fixed dimensions. The finished result can have the appearance of text boxes
and you will not have the problems associated with them.
Text boxes will only cause you grief.
You will probably want to put form fields in the cells to make the form
teacher proof.

Mr John wrote:
[...]

Mr_John

Hi Graham
Are you able to give a step by step proces.
I created a table with 1 column and 10 rows.
And then merged all the cells into one.
Then i went into Table Properties and unchecked 'Automaticaly resize to fit
contents'
Now when i write in the table it has a fixed width but keeps getting bigger
at the bottom of the table if i write more than the table (It expands).
I know this sounds dense of me but i need step by step (for dummies)
instructions.
Thanks

Mr John wrote:
[...]

You can set an exact row height for the table rows, but unless the document
is protected for forms, you can't prevent teachers from adding rows. For
more on forms, see
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Customizat...nTheBlanks.htm and especially
the forms tutorials by Dian Chapman that this article links to.

Mr John wrote:
[...]

Dian D. Chapman, MVP

Although you can find many free tutorials on forms (Thanks, Suzanne
for the plug)...I also have a forms creation course. The first lesson
discusses various ways to create forms w/tables and how to customize
them...as well as formatting tricks.

That lesson just happens to be the free lesson I have as a sample to
the course. So take advantage of that fact and view that lesson at
this linksee VBA Online):

http://www.mousetrax.com/TechCourses.html#samples

You'll find lots of additional forms tutorials he

http://www.mousetrax.com/techpage.html#autoforms

And here's an article on Frames that might help, too...

Understanding Frames and Anchors in Word

Dian D. Chapman, Technical Consultant
Microsoft MVP, MOS Certified
Editor/TechTrax Ezine

Free MS Tutorials: http://www.mousetrax.com/techtrax
Free Word eBook: http://www.mousetrax.com/books.html
Optimize your business docs: http://www.mousetrax.com/consulting
Learn VBA the easy way: http://www.mousetrax.com/techcourses.html

On Sun, 24 Apr 2005 02:00:01 -0700, "Mr John" Mr
wrote:

[...]

How do I create forms with stationary lines and text? Micki Microsoft Word Help 1 April 18th 05 02:04 PM
Can I create a fixed form in word and add in text? mattsrh Microsoft Word Help 2 April 13th 05 07:22 PM
automatically create text box for linked text ABGumby Microsoft Word Help 2 February 23rd 05 12:53 AM
Outline Renee Hendershott Page Layout 2 December 25th 04 02:49 PM
How do you create a Word template with permanent text fields? Medical Admin Microsoft Word Help 1 December 9th 04 02:22 AM