Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
pom15595 pom15595 is offline

Default Update All (Cntrl A) Does Not Work

For some reason I cannot seem to update fields (eg table / figure numbers) by
selecting the whole document using control A, then F9.

I can update these fields if I individually hightlight them or even if I
select/ highlight a section of the document that contains a field, but not
via control A.

This used to work, but seems not now.

Any ideas?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Does Ctrl+A select all of the text in the document?

Another way is to use Print Preview (assuming that you have the option to
Update fields on print set on). This method will update the fields in the
header and footer as well, while Ctrl+A will only select the text in the
body of the document.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

"pom15595" wrote in message
For some reason I cannot seem to update fields (eg table / figure numbers)
by
selecting the whole document using control A, then F9.

I can update these fields if I individually hightlight them or even if I
select/ highlight a section of the document that contains a field, but not
via control A.

This used to work, but seems not now.

Any ideas?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
pom15595 pom15595 is offline

Ctrl+A does select all of the text. However as indicated once all the text
is selected via Ctrl+A, then F9 (update) does not function.

"pom15595" wrote in message
For some reason I cannot seem to update fields (eg table / figure numbers)
by
selecting the whole document using control A, then F9.

I can update these fields if I individually hightlight them or even if I
select/ highlight a section of the document that contains a field, but not
via control A.

This used to work, but seems not now.

Any ideas?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
pom15595 pom15595 is offline

But when they are highlighted individually or as part of a selection (but not
via ctrl+A) they update okay.

"pom15595" wrote in message
For some reason I cannot seem to update fields (eg table / figure
numbers)
by
selecting the whole document using control A, then F9.

I can update these fields if I individually hightlight them or even if
select/ highlight a section of the document that contains a field, but
not
via control A.

This used to work, but seems not now.

Any ideas?

.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
pom15595 pom15595 is offline

Ok, so what is preventing them from being selected by Ctrl+A? Or put another
way how can I ensure that they are selectred by Ctrl+A?

Note the fields in question are in the main body of the document (ie are not
in footers / headers).

Thanks

"pom15595" wrote in message
For some reason I cannot seem to update fields (eg table / figure
numbers)
by
selecting the whole document using control A, then F9.

I can update these fields if I individually hightlight them or even
if
select/ highlight a section of the document that contains a field,
but
not
via control A.

This used to work, but seems not now.

Any ideas?

.

.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

There are several layers in a document - imagine a pile of transparencies
each with some of the data stacked one above another. Ctrl+A will only
select items in the current story range (transparency). To attack all the
ranges you will need a macro. The sample macro at
http://www.gmayor.com/installing_macro.htm will work for most ranges, but
you may still need to add code to update contents tables, but we'll cross
that bridge when we come to it, as the extra processing slows down the
macro. Let's see how you get on with the suggested code first.

"Doug Robbins - Word MVP" wrote:

Does Ctrl+A select all of the text in the document?

Another way is to use Print Preview (assuming that you have the
option
Update fields on print set on). This method will update the fields
in
the
header and footer as well, while Ctrl+A will only select the text
in
the
body of the document.

--
Hope this helps.

Please reply to the newsgroup unless you wish to avail yourself of
my

"pom15595" wrote in message
For some reason I cannot seem to update fields (eg table / figure
numbers)
by
selecting the whole document using control A, then F9.

I can update these fields if I individually hightlight them or
even
if
select/ highlight a section of the document that contains a
field,
but
not
via control A.

This used to work, but seems not now.

Any ideas?

.

.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
pom15595 pom15595 is offline

Many thanks

Your macro works, however I still don't understand however when I select /
highlight a section that includes fields then F9 - the fields are updated.
However if I select using Ctrl+A (which does mean select all - doesn't it)
then F9 - the fields are not updated.

Grateful for thoughts.

Thanks

"pom15595" wrote in message
For some reason I cannot seem to update fields (eg table / figure
numbers)
by
selecting the whole document using control A, then F9.

I can update these fields if I individually hightlight them or
even
if
select/ highlight a section of the document that contains a
field,
but
not
via control A.

This used to work, but seems not now.

Any ideas?

.

.

.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

No. It selects only 'all' of the current story range.

news

"Doug Robbins - Word MVP" wrote:

Does Ctrl+A select all of the text in the document?

Another way is to use Print Preview (assuming that you have the
option
Update fields on print set on). This method will update the
fields
in
the
header and footer as well, while Ctrl+A will only select the
text
in
the
body of the document.

--
Hope this helps.

Please reply to the newsgroup unless you wish to avail yourself
of
my
services on a paid consulting basis.

msnews.microsoft.com

"pom15595" wrote in message
For some reason I cannot seem to update fields (eg table /
figure
numbers)
by
selecting the whole document using control A, then F9.

I can update these fields if I individually hightlight them or
even
if
select/ highlight a section of the document that contains a
field,
but
not
via control A.

This used to work, but seems not now.

Any ideas?

.

.

.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
pom15595 pom15595 is offline

Thanks (again)

Where / how are the various "story ranges" defined / controlled?

Is it possible to view / interogate Word so that I can see what story ranges
are defined and what each contain?

Can you point me to somewhere that tells me more about story ranges?

Also does you macro work through headers & footers as well as the main body
of a document?

Many thanks

"pom15595" wrote in message
For some reason I cannot seem to update fields (eg table /
figure
numbers)
by
selecting the whole document using control A, then F9.

I can update these fields if I individually hightlight them or
even
if
select/ highlight a section of the document that contains a
field,
but
not
via control A.

This used to work, but seems not now.

Any ideas?

.

.

.

.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Yes the macro does work in header/footers - where it might fall down is when
there are reference tables e.g Tables of Contents, Tables of Figures etc
which *may* need extra processing.

To get a greater insight into the issues, you will need to delve into the
world of vba - http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb256041.aspx should
get you started on the immediate issue.

"Doug Robbins - Word MVP" wrote:

Does Ctrl+A select all of the text in the document?

Another way is to use Print Preview (assuming that you have
the
option
Update fields on print set on). This method will update the
fields
in
the
header and footer as well, while Ctrl+A will only select the
text
in
the
body of the document.

--
Hope this helps.

Please reply to the newsgroup unless you wish to avail
yourself
of
my
services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP, originally posted via
msnews.microsoft.com

"pom15595" wrote in
message
For some reason I cannot seem to update fields (eg table /
figure
numbers)
by
selecting the whole document using control A, then F9.

I can update these fields if I individually hightlight them
or
even
if
select/ highlight a section of the document that contains a
field,
but
not
via control A.

This used to work, but seems not now.

Any ideas?

.

.

.

.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

"Doug Robbins - Word MVP" wrote:

[...]

What, in a WD07 Doc Cntrl Formula, Screed Tables 1 November 24th 07 08:56 PM
Update Link Automatically (does not work) Quco Microsoft Word Help 1 June 29th 07 02:32 PM
how to get back Cntrl+B JMB New Users 3 March 25th 06 07:31 AM
How do I set up a Word document to bypass the CNTRL + click? JC129601 Page Layout 1 May 25th 05 06:14 PM
How do i type over Tab+Cntrl U used for underlines Without moving Manny5436 Page Layout 1 February 4th 05 10:02 PM