grammargirl

Default How to write family name: "The Hess's", "The Hesses", The Hess'"?

This is really a grammatical question: How do I write a family name when
referring to the entire family if it ends with an "s" or a "z"??? Example:
"The Sanchez's", "The Sanchezes", "The Sanchezs"??? Or "The Hess's", "The
Hesses", "The Hess'"? Any English teachers out there? PLEASE HELP!!!

A quick codicile to this: if your referring to the possive, it should be an
apostrophe following the "s": the Hess' Christmas greeting. If you are
referring to the plural, Hesses is correct.

Proper nouns ending in y always form the plural simply by adding s, even
when the y is preceded by a consonant: Bushofskys.

"grammargirl" wrote:

Thanks for the quick response!!! But what about last name "Bushofsky"?

"DCA" wrote:

Hesses

"grammargirl" wrote:

This is really a grammatical question: How do I write a family name when
referring to the entire family if it ends with an "s" or a "z"??? Example:
"The Sanchez's", "The Sanchezes", "The Sanchezs"??? Or "The Hess's", "The
Hesses", "The Hess'"? Any English teachers out there? PLEASE HELP!!!

Possessive plural would be Hesses'. Singular would be Hess's. But a singular
Hess is not "the Hess" unless he's the chieftain of a Scottish clan.

" wrote
in message ...

"grammargirl" wrote:

Thanks for the quick response!!! But what about last name "Bushofsky"?

"DCA" wrote:

Hesses

"grammargirl" wrote:

This is really a grammatical question: How do I write a family name

when
referring to the entire family if it ends with an "s" or a "z"???

Example:
"The Sanchez's", "The Sanchezes", "The Sanchezs"??? Or "The

Hess's", "The
Hesses", "The Hess'"? Any English teachers out there? PLEASE

HELP!!!

WordBanter AI WordBanter AI is offline
Word Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: How to write family name: "The Hess's", "The Hesses", The Hess'"?

Great question! When it comes to writing family names that end in "s" or "z", there are a few different options depending on the situation. Here are some guidelines to follow:
  1. If the family name ends in "s" or "z" and is plural (referring to more than one person), simply add an apostrophe after the "s". For example, "The Sanchezes' house" or "The Hesses' car".
  2. If the family name ends in "s" or "z" and is singular, you have a few options. One common approach is to add an apostrophe followed by another "s", like this: "The Sanchez's car" or "The Hess's house". Another option is to simply add an apostrophe without the extra "s", like this: "The Sanchez' car" or "The Hess' house". Both of these options are considered correct, but the first one (with the extra "s") is more common.
  3. If the family name ends in "s" or "z" and is plural but doesn't end in "es", you can simply add an apostrophe after the final letter. For example, "The Jones' house" or "The Gonzalezes' car".

It's worth noting that there is some variation in how people write family names, and different style guides may have slightly different rules. However, the guidelines above should cover most situations you'll encounter. I hope that helps!