Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Mouse

Default All files are corrupt

Hi,

I am in desperate need of help. We installed a keylogger software to
monitor our child's internet activity. We uninstalled the software and once
the software was removed, all of our .doc, .ppt, .xls, etc...files created
before the removal are now corrupt.

When we try to open any of the files, the Ecoding box appears and no matter
what we select, the docs just show symbols and characters. We have also
tried to open the files using the "Recover text" option but to no avail.

There has to be something that must have deleted or damaged the actual
microsoft office applications.

Any ideas???

Thanks so much,
Lynn
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Shauna Kelly

Hi Lynn

The first thing I would do is to make sure that Windows hasn't 'forgotten'
that Word is supposed to open Word documents, and Excel is supposed to open
Excel workbooks and so on.

So, you need to re-register the file types. To do that...

For Word, do Start Run. Type
winword /r
and press OK. (Note the space before the forward slash.)

For Excel, do Start Run. Type
excel.exe /unregserver
and press OK. ((Note the space between exe and /unregserver.)

And now, do Start Run and type
excel.exe /regserver
and click OK. (Note the space between exe and /regserver.)

For PowerPoint, see http://www.rdpslides.com/pptfaq/FAQ00355.htm

If that doesn't help, post back and let us know (a) what version of Office
you have and (b) what does the "Ecoding box" say?

Hope this helps.

Shauna Kelly. Microsoft MVP.
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word

"Mouse" wrote in message
Hi,

I am in desperate need of help. We installed a keylogger software to
monitor our child's internet activity. We uninstalled the software and
once
the software was removed, all of our .doc, .ppt, .xls, etc...files created
before the removal are now corrupt.

When we try to open any of the files, the Ecoding box appears and no
matter
what we select, the docs just show symbols and characters. We have also
tried to open the files using the "Recover text" option but to no avail.

There has to be something that must have deleted or damaged the actual
microsoft office applications.

Any ideas???

Thanks so much,
Lynn

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Mouse

Hi, Shauna -

Thank you for responding to my cry for help!

I followed the items you listed below for Word and followed the steps on the
powerpoint link.

When I did Start and in the Run typed excel.exe / regserver, I received the
following message: "regserver.xls could not be found." Check the spelling
of the name and verify that the file location is correct."

I rebooted the computer and the same issues are occuring.

Any of the word and excel docs we open, prior to seeing the doc, the file
conversion prompt appears and sets it to "Other Encoding" and picks random
ones such as Japanese, Greek, etc.. no matter what we select, it's just all
characters or symbols.

We are running XP Home Edition Version 2002 Service Pack 2 and Office
versions are 2003.

Any ideas on this one?

Thanks again for your help!
Mouse