How do you know if something rhymes or not?

Old January 4th 22, 02:59 PM
Emily111 Emily111 is offline

Default How do you know if something rhymes or not?

English is my second language and I want to develop it, and my writing (poetry, lyrics, etc.). But the real problem for me currently is knowing whether or not something actually rhymes. To give an example. Of cause something like 'hitting and quitting' rhymes but sometimes I find it more tricky, now I'm a fan of hip hop as well and in a certain song called 'Hoody Season' Jordan is rhymed with scoring. Like so:
Polo hoody and the Jordan hoody
Got it down town cocaine scoring hoody
And I don't really hear it, so to get to the point is there any way to know for certain if something rhymes, and what are the rules? or do you just go by the sound of it and hope for the best?
Old January 7th 22, 08:29 AM
ToryBlaker ToryBlaker is offline

Originally Posted by Emily111 View Post
English is my second language and I want to develop it, and my writing (poetry, lyrics, etc.). But the real problem for me currently is knowing whether or not something actually rhymes. To give an example. Of cause something like 'hitting and quitting' rhymes but sometimes I find it more tricky, now I'm a fan of hip hop as well and in a certain song called 'Hoody Season' Jordan is rhymed with scoring. Like so:
Polo hoody and the Jordan hoody
Got it down town cocaine scoring hoody
And I don't really hear it, so to get to the point is there any way to know for certain if something rhymes, and what are the rules? or do you just go by the sound of it and hope for the best?
Rhyming of words is highly dependent on the pronunciation than on the spelling.
Old January 8th 22, 06:20 AM
timtak timtak is offline

It is very difficult to know whether words rhyme or not because English spelling is illogical. As Tory says, it depends on the pronunciation rather than the spelling, and so you simply have to know the pronunciation and that of other words that rhyme with it. But you can use a rhyming dictionary such as
https://www.rhymezone.com/
https://www.rhymer.com/
to find words that rhyme.