Anasazi

Default templates / master document?

Hello,
A couple of questions about how to go about this scenario:

One document divided into 2 parts (33 pages & 70 pages) where both parts
will use the same templates. I have 4 page layouts that I would like to use
as templates - they all have the same formatting for text, but images differ
on each. The same 4 page layout will be used for each sub-chapter of the
document. Page numbering should continue through each part (not break up
into many chapters beginning with page 1).

1. I thought about using a Master document for this - created an outline
per MS Help, but cannot apply the 'full' template - only the formatting of
the text shows. Images are nowhere to be found. I belive that this is how
templates work - text formatting only, correct?... but how would I then go
about getting the images? Do I have to copy/paste into each sub-chapter?

2. Or, do I need to create each sub-chapter on it's own (Newfrom
templatesave as .DOC) and then bring it into a Master Document?

I thought a Master Document would be the way to go because if I would need
to print the whole kit and kaboodle at once, with the option to print only
one chapter if need be, and it would keep the page numbering across the
document. I don't want to have to open 20 different word docs and then print
each separately to create this manual.

Any help would be appreciated!
Thanks,
Blythe
Margaret Aldis

You don't need master documents for this - not only are they buggy, but as
you've found they aren't designed to handle your page layout requirements
(in fact, the converse, they would generally be used, if they worked, to
override page layouts with a common format.)

You should be able to handle this in a single document by using different
Word Sections for each page layout. If you already have the subdocuments,
then make the composite document by adding a Section Break at the end of
each subdocument (to store and preserve the page layout) and then Insert
File to import the subdocuments.

There's more information about sections at
http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/Format...thSections.htm

--
Margaret Aldis - Microsoft Word MVP

"Anasazi" wrote in message
[...]

Anasazi

Margaret,

This sounds like a good solution. Just to make sure I understand you: I
start a new document using the initial layout (or open the first
'subdocument' that already has this layout) and then simply insert the
additional files to retain each 'section' layout...of course adhereing to all
the bugs to make sure it works fine.

Dumb question here....(sorry I'm tired )
I assume I can then save each file (part I and part 2) as DOTs or as DOCs,
correct?

Thanks,
Blythe

"Anasazi" wrote in message
[...]

Charles Kenyon

Yes, you can save them as templates or documents. These two types are not
interchangeable, though. Templates are intended to be the starting point for
new documents. Documents are intended to be the end product.
--
Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.

"Anasazi" wrote in message
[...]

Anasazi

Charles,

Yes, thanks for clarifying that point.

We do want it to be a DOT file - it will be a template for our Quick Start
Guide for all new hotels that fall under our umbrella. I'll be using fields
as well to help us out so we can customize names, etc. for each hotel.

Thanks again,
Blythe

"Anasazi" wrote in message
[...]

Anasazi

Margaret,

Another question:

I started my template with 3 pages, with the third page being a blank page.
Then I copy/pasted my second section into the template to preserve the
layout. The new section was then pasted over the third blank page. The only
way I could preserve that blank page was to insert a PAGE BREAK/NEW PAGE.

Is this going to cause me trouble down the line? It seems that the tech note
you provided, although very informative, confused me on this particular issue.

Thanks,
Blythe

"Anasazi" wrote in message
[...]

Anasazi

Let me explain again - clearly

After I insert each file (via copy/paste), I place a continuous break.

In each separate file, before I insert into the document, I have added a
continuous break at the end. I also added a Section Break/New Page at the
very beginning of each file.

What it is now doing is replacing the header/footer of the files that come
before it. I know it explains it in some of these tech note, but I guess I'm
just not getting it. I need to have each separate file MAINTAIN its original
header/footer, and not modify the already existing one in the main template.

I hope that's a bit more clear.
Thanks,
Blythe

"Anasazi" wrote in message
[...]

Margaret Aldis

You're adding too many section breaks, and in the wrong place. Perhaps it
wasn't clear in my first post, but you need to insert a section break
(doesn't actually matter what type) at the *end* of each source file, *prior
to inserting it*. If you are building up the composite file by adding to the
first document, you'll also need to add a section break at the end before
you move past it to insert the next file.) If you are combining using Paste,
you must include the section break in the Copy. If you are using Insert
File then remember to save the file with the section break before you
insert.

The key point is that the section breaks store all page layout information
for the text *above* the break. Have a look again at
http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/Format...thSections.htm

The most confusing part of this is that this includes the Section start
information (Next Page etc.). So the legend you see on the screen, which
refers to the next section, is stored not in the break it is displayed in,
but in the following one.

--

"Anasazi" wrote in message
[...]

Anasazi

Margaret,

Thanks so much! Your explanation is a huge help. I'll get to work and
create it the correct way.

Cheers,
Blythe