Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Beeler Beeler is offline

Default Numbered list format (complicated)

I'll type a full description below but the basic question is this: How do I
create a numbered list that assumes the formatting from the previous list but
not the count?

full description:
I'm creating a large manual (1,000 plus pages) that is organized using RD
fields and a TOC. The Headings acquire their formatting and numbering from a
numbered list. I'd like to create procedure numbered list in which when I
click that numbered list, it will always begin at one, but will be indented
(for now we'll say) .025" from the previous margin. Then I'd like the
numbered list to act as you'd expext. If I hit enter and tab the number 1.1
would appear and be slightly indented.

For example:

Heading 1 (based on list 1)
Text associated after hitting return on Heading 1
1. this would be step one
1.1 this would be a sub step
2. Step two

Heading 1.1
Text associate after hitting return on Heading 2
1. This would be step 1
1.1 This would be a sub step
2. Step two

etc. through 5 headings. each indented more

--
-Beeler
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

Set up a second outline-numbered (multilevel) list for your numbered
procedures. You can restart it manually, by right-clicking the list, or
by one of the other methods explained he
http://word.mvps.org/faqs/numbering/...artmethods.htm.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Beeler" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

And if you need help setting up an outline-numbered list, see
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/numb...Numbering.html.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Beeler" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Beeler Beeler is offline

Stefan, thanks for the reply. I actually have the outlined numbering
set up pretty much how Shauna has it described. However, when I read through
the website you posted, it said that all of these functions were possible,
but other than through VBA did not give an explanation of how to do it.
Since I'm at the ground floor level of the project, I can set up the numbered
lists from the beginning. It seems like I'd like to have the numbered list
take it's tab spacing and indentation from the style heading, but it seems to
work sporadically as I type various test paragraphs.

I suppose, in using some forethought, I would possibly need an intervening
style 100% of the time. If this is the case is it possible to use a list
style called steps or procedures and have it restart numbering if there is
body text or a particular heading style intervening?

Do you know of any way to actually implement the restart numbering? I've
seemingly triedvarious options in the customize style boxes. I appreciate
the resources on this, I'll read through the articles to see if that can shed
some light but it might take awhile.

--
-Beeler

"Beeler" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

The article at
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/numb...Numbering.html describes
the basics: how to set up the numbering and attach it to styles. Then apply
numbering by applying styles.

For the various restart methods, you can read the linked articles at
http://word.mvps.org/faqs/numbering/...artmethods.htm.

Since recent versions of Word are more stable with respect to numbering, the
VBA method should not be necessary.

If several people edit the document, restarting based on outline levels is
probably the easiest way. This simply means that you apply a higher
level/style whenever you need to restart. You can mix headings and
nonheadings, but the idea is that everything must be in a single list. See
http://word.mvps.org/faqs/numbering/...FromStyle.htm).

LISTNUM fields are more flexible; but they are perhaps more useful if you
are the only person editing the document. For more, see
http://word.mvps.org/faqs/numbering/...tByLISTNUM.htm.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Beeler" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Beeler Beeler is offline

Stefan, thanks for the articles again. I've been reading through them, and I
think I've got it close but the numbers are very finicky.

I'm having issues in two areas. The first is set up as follows:

I've got heading one (based on a numbered list)
text follows heading one and is spaced appropriately
Heading two based on Heading one
text 2 follows spaced appropriately

This continues through 5 headings. When I click my procedure numbering
scheme (a style called steps) it will change the text to the numbering
spacing I have set up. I've noticed that if I click "steps" on text that
I've selected for "text 1" it will assume the spacing i have set up on level
1. the same follows for text 2 it will assume level 2 spacing. The problem
seems to be level 5. It assumes the spacing for level 6. Any ideas?

The second issue: I might be able to figure this out eventually, but suppose
I'd like the numbering to be 1 hit return then get step 2. I've got that,
but what I don't have is if I hit enter again the hit tab and get step 1.a.
or 1a or 1.1. It's very difficult to tell what those greyed in boxes are
referring to in the restart numbering box.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

--
-Beeler