oe

Default Add autotext to template (not Normal.dot)

Word 2003

In Word 2000, it was possible to save a template without saving a document.
For example, if I opened a document based on (say) name.dot, added new
autotext to that template
only, I could close the document without saving it but was prompted. "do you
want to save changes to name.dot?" If I said "Yes", the autotext was
available
next time I opened a document based on that template.

In Word 2003, I do not get this prompt so do not have the opportunity of
saving the changes to the template. Is there a way round this, please?

TIA

Herb Tyson [MVP]

Do you perhaps have Adobe Acrobat 7? It can prevent Word from realizing that
a template has changed. One workaround is to press Shift and click File,
which will make the Save All command appear. You are then prompted to save
or not save each file that's open.

Or, if you don't use the Adobe Acrobat toolbars, see:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/906899

If you don't have Adobe Acrobat 7, then the first solution should let you
save changes to the template without having to save the document. Also,
check Tools - Options - General tab, and enable Prompt to save Normal
template (if that's the template in question).

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP
http://www.herbtyson.com