Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
gfswolf gfswolf is offline

Default Paragraph spacing is off

I copied an article from online and pasted into word. The article was single
spaced, with a double space between paragraphs. In word, I attempted to
change it to double spacing, but there is a triple space between paragraphs.
I've tried to get rid of the triple space between paragraphs, but I can't. I
want it all to be double spaced, within paragraphs and between paragraphs.
How can I get this to happen? Help please!
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

On Tue, 9 Feb 2010 13:49:01 -0800, gfswolf
wrote:

I copied an article from online and pasted into word. The article was single
spaced, with a double space between paragraphs. In word, I attempted to
change it to double spacing, but there is a triple space between paragraphs.
I've tried to get rid of the triple space between paragraphs, but I can't. I
want it all to be double spaced, within paragraphs and between paragraphs.
How can I get this to happen? Help please!

DO NOT use empty paragraphs (Enter key presses) to make spaces between
paragraphs. Doing so leads to problems like the one you have now.

Instead, use the Space Before or Space After settings in the paragraph
attributes of the style applied to the text. That way, the spacing
between paragraphs is independent of the spacing between lines within
a paragraph.

To remove the extra paragraph marks, use the Replace dialog. Put the
code ^p^p (representing two paragraph marks) in the Find What box,
and the code ^p in the Replace With box, then click Replace All.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

Most likely the text you copied had some Spacing Before/After. When you
changed to double spacing, you didn't remove this. Set the Before/After
spacing to 0, and then you will have double spacing consistently through and
between paragraphs.

http://word.mvps.org

news