Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
jeffrey jeffrey is offline

Default text boxs moves when i type, how to protect

--
jew
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
CyberTaz CyberTaz is offline

Please use the BIG BOX to provide a full description of the problem, what
version of Word you're using & what kind of "moving" is going on.

Regards |:)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac

On 1/2/09 12:44 AM, in article
, "jeffrey"

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Engin Tarhan Engin Tarhan is offline

Default change the layout of the text boxs via format text box window

Engin

"jeffrey" wrote in message

jew

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Dave Claxon Dave Claxon is offline

It's the same problem I've had with Word 97, 2000, 2002, 2003, and now with
2007. I format the text box for absolute position on the page, and I check
the "Lock anchor" check box, but when the page gets almost full, the textbox
jumps to the next page. Sure, it keeps its proper position on whatever page
it's on, but how do I keep its position on THIS page? And the problem seems
worse if I paste something onto the page. Sometimes I can get away with
filling the page by just typing.

Dave

"CyberTaz" wrote in message
.. .
Please use the BIG BOX to provide a full description of the problem, what
version of Word you're using & what kind of "moving" is going on.

Regards |:)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac

On 1/2/09 12:44 AM, in article
, "jeffrey"

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
CyberTaz CyberTaz is offline

You first have to wrap your head around the fact that there are no *pages*
in a Word document. It's a flow of text from start to end contained in
paragraphs within sections. Pagination is imposed by the printer based on
the content, its formatting, & the paper size/margin specifications.

All floating objects are anchored to a *paragraph* & when that paragraph
moves to a new position in the text flow the object anchored to it goes
along for the ride. "Locking" an anchor simply means welding it to the
paragraph so the anchor itself can't be dragged to a different paragraph.

You might have a look at this article & follow the links for a more in-depth
discussion of floating & in-line objects in a Word document:

http://word.mvps.org/Mac/PagesInWord.html

If you want static positioning of objects on a page you need to use a page
layout [Desktop Publishing] program such as Publisher, InDesign, et al. They
deal with physical page structures.

HTH |:)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac

On 1/2/09 7:44 PM, in article , "Dave
Claxon" wrote:

It's the same problem I've had with Word 97, 2000, 2002, 2003, and now with
2007. I format the text box for absolute position on the page, and I check
the "Lock anchor" check box, but when the page gets almost full, the textbox
jumps to the next page. Sure, it keeps its proper position on whatever page
it's on, but how do I keep its position on THIS page? And the problem seems
worse if I paste something onto the page. Sometimes I can get away with
filling the page by just typing.

Dave

"CyberTaz" wrote in message
.. .
Please use the BIG BOX to provide a full description of the problem, what
version of Word you're using & what kind of "moving" is going on.

Regards |:)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac

On 1/2/09 12:44 AM, in article
, "jeffrey"

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Dave Claxon Dave Claxon is offline

OK, I think I understand the concept you're trying to explain, but it still
makes no sense in this case. The object is not "going along for the ride"
when the paragraph moves to a new position, because the paragraph is not
moving. I am adding content 3 paragraphs past where the text has already
wrapped around the object. And I have tried changing the positioning to be
in relation to the paragraph, the line, and the margin, all with the same
results. (And if there are no *pages* in a Word document, why the *!^$# is
there an option to set the position in relation to the *page*?)

Dave

.. .

Claxon" wrote:

It's the same problem I've had with Word 97, 2000, 2002, 2003, and now
with
2007. I format the text box for absolute position on the page, and I
check
the "Lock anchor" check box, but when the page gets almost full, the
textbox
jumps to the next page. Sure, it keeps its proper position on whatever
page
it's on, but how do I keep its position on THIS page? And the problem
seems
worse if I paste something onto the page. Sometimes I can get away with
filling the page by just typing.

Dave

"CyberTaz" wrote in message
.. .
Please use the BIG BOX to provide a full description of the problem,
what
version of Word you're using & what kind of "moving" is going on.

Regards |:)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac

On 1/2/09 12:44 AM, in article
, "jeffrey"

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
CyberTaz CyberTaz is offline

Well, the first question is "Are you absolutely certain which paragraph the
object is anchored to?" :-) Are you seeing the anchor at the left margin?

There are also any number of other settings combinations as well as
formatting attributes (line spacing, para spacing, etc.) which can account
for what seems to be "random" behaviors, but that's why floating graphics
are such a PITA to deal with. Also, once you make the layout specifications
even the slightest drag or nudge of the object changes the settings. I
personally rarely use floating graphics, when I do it's very limited in any
one document, and they're **always** added after all the text configuration
is complete. I then insert the images & adjust as necessary from there.

As for " why the *!^$# is there an option to set the position in relation to
the *page*? ": Well, "page" is used here in an arbitrary manner referring to
the printed sheet that the associated paragraph winds up on. Secondly, you
just can't get away from the term [page numbers, page layout view, page
orientation] & users *expect* to have *pages*. The apparent MS philosophy is
to make the user think they have what they want even if it's radically far
removed from reality :-)

Regards |:)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac

On 1/3/09 12:52 AM, in article , "Dave
Claxon" wrote:

OK, I think I understand the concept you're trying to explain, but it still
makes no sense in this case. The object is not "going along for the ride"
when the paragraph moves to a new position, because the paragraph is not
moving. I am adding content 3 paragraphs past where the text has already
wrapped around the object. And I have tried changing the positioning to be
in relation to the paragraph, the line, and the margin, all with the same
results. (And if there are no *pages* in a Word document, why the *!^$# is
there an option to set the position in relation to the *page*?)

Dave

.. .

Claxon" wrote:

It's the same problem I've had with Word 97, 2000, 2002, 2003, and now
with
2007. I format the text box for absolute position on the page, and I
check
the "Lock anchor" check box, but when the page gets almost full, the
textbox
jumps to the next page. Sure, it keeps its proper position on whatever
page
it's on, but how do I keep its position on THIS page? And the problem
seems
worse if I paste something onto the page. Sometimes I can get away with
filling the page by just typing.

Dave

"CyberTaz" wrote in message
.. .
Please use the BIG BOX to provide a full description of the problem,
what
version of Word you're using & what kind of "moving" is going on.

Regards |:)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac

On 1/2/09 12:44 AM, in article
, "jeffrey"

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Dave Claxon Dave Claxon is offline

even if it's radically far removed from reality :-)

I've often suspected that about MS. But then I've suspected that about many
entities I've had to deal with over the years. But I finally got frustrated
enough with it to move the document to Publisher. I had started to several
times before and never quite finished. Partly because it was just easier to
keep doing what I was doing than to learn something new, and partly because
when I get the newsletter done each month I convert it to PDF to e-mail it
out, and in the past it seemed like the more text boxes I used, the more
problems I had with Acrobat (maybe just because it was an older version of
Acrobat,) and I was a little worried about moving to something that was ALL
text boxes. But when I switched to Office 2007 I noticed the ability to save
as PDF directly without using Acrobat so I decided to give it a try. And at
least for the first issue it seems to have worked just fine.

Dave

.. .

Claxon" wrote:

OK, I think I understand the concept you're trying to explain, but it
still
makes no sense in this case. The object is not "going along for the ride"
when the paragraph moves to a new position, because the paragraph is not
moving. I am adding content 3 paragraphs past where the text has already
wrapped around the object. And I have tried changing the positioning to
be
in relation to the paragraph, the line, and the margin, all with the same
results. (And if there are no *pages* in a Word document, why the *!^$#
is
there an option to set the position in relation to the *page*?)

Dave

.. .

Claxon" wrote:

It's the same problem I've had with Word 97, 2000, 2002, 2003, and now
with
2007. I format the text box for absolute position on the page, and I
check
the "Lock anchor" check box, but when the page gets almost full, the
textbox
jumps to the next page. Sure, it keeps its proper position on whatever
page
it's on, but how do I keep its position on THIS page? And the problem
seems
worse if I paste something onto the page. Sometimes I can get away with
filling the page by just typing.

Dave

"CyberTaz" wrote in message
.. .
Please use the BIG BOX to provide a full description of the problem,
what
version of Word you're using & what kind of "moving" is going on.

Regards |:)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac

On 1/2/09 12:44 AM, in article