Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cindy M -WordMVP-

Default "select all instances" of style is broken

Hi Mouserancher,

Yes, if I select it and press Ctrl+Spacebar I get the underlying style
(which is itself a custom style). The custom style I'm trying to select
happens to be that underlying custom style with bold added. But that's
true, and the result is the same, if I select text that *does* get
selected by "Select all ### Instance(s)."

I'd rather not have to define styles all in terms of "Normal + stuff",
since being able to create a set of related custom styles lets me
select different subsets of the document... which is my main reason for
creating the custom styles. I.e. Selecting style "custom1" selects a
portion of the document, and style "custom2" (which is custom1+bold)
selects a subset of the custom1 text. It'd be a useful ability (if it
was working!).

It's working, it's just that you'd like it to work differently than it's
designed to :-) As far as Word's concerned, formatting applied on top of
a style is an additional style (a character level style).

For someone who's trying to clean up a document, being able to make the
distinction that's getting in your way may be important :-)

The only suggestion I can make is that you could use a macro to identify
(possibly highlight) all paragraphs with style x. (Macros can't make
multiple selections, except for using the same command you're already
having problems with.)

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org