Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Invalid Invalid is offline

Default "Document change" indication when there's no change

I often open a document to look at something, then close without making any
changes. Frequently, I get the warning that the document has changed; do I
want to save the changes? I know that if there's a field that is
automatically updated on opening (last looked at? last opened? that the
update to that field would cause the document to change. I can't find such
fields in the documents where this is happening.

Are there hidden places I should look (like in statistics, etc.)? Other
ideas?

Using Word 2002 on Windows XP Professional, latest SP.

TIA,
Bob

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
John McGhie [MVP - Word and Word Macintosh] John McGhie [MVP - Word and Word Macintosh] is offline

Page number and Table of Contents fields are the most common, but by no
means the only fields that do this. Dates, time fields, file paths, the
list is endless.

Carefully look in every one of the three headers and three footers in each
section. A header or footer does not have to be visible to update. Check
you don't have your Styles set to "Automatically update on open".

Even automatic paragraph or heading numbering will do it, if the document
has been heavily edited.

It's very hard to think of all the possibilities.

Hope this helps

On 17/1/07 4:10 PM, in article ,
"Invalid" wrote:

I often open a document to look at something, then close without making any
changes. Frequently, I get the warning that the document has changed; do I
want to save the changes? I know that if there's a field that is
automatically updated on opening (last looked at? last opened? that the
update to that field would cause the document to change. I can't find such
fields in the documents where this is happening.

Are there hidden places I should look (like in statistics, etc.)? Other
ideas?

Using Word 2002 on Windows XP Professional, latest SP.

TIA,
Bob

me unless I ask you to.

John McGhie
Microsoft MVP, Word and Word for Macintosh. Business Analyst, Consultant
Technical Writer.
Sydney, Australia +61 (0) 4 1209 1410

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Besides the possibilities John has mentioned, see “WD2002: You Are Prompted
to Save Changes When You Close a Document Even Though You Have Made No
Changes” at http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=816473

"Invalid" wrote in message
I often open a document to look at something, then close without making

any
changes. Frequently, I get the warning that the document has changed; do

want to save the changes? I know that if there's a field that is
automatically updated on opening (last looked at? last opened? that the
update to that field would cause the document to change. I can't find

such
fields in the documents where this is happening.

Are there hidden places I should look (like in statistics, etc.)? Other
ideas?

Using Word 2002 on Windows XP Professional, latest SP.

TIA,
Bob

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Invalid Invalid is offline

Thanks Suzanne (and John),

Turning off smart tags (which I never use, anyway) helped with some
documents. I'll check some of the other suggested fields if the problem
resurfaces.

Thanks, again!
Bob

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
Besides the possibilities John has mentioned, see “WD2002: You Are
Prompted
to Save Changes When You Close a Document Even Though You Have Made No
Changes” at http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=816473

so
all may benefit.