Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

Default how to: "page 2 of 12 pages"

Assuming this is Word 2003 or earlier (if it's Word 2007, someone else will
have to help):

1. View | Header and Footer.

2. On the Header and Footer toolbar, click the Page Setup button. Check the
box for "Different first page" on the Layout tab of Page Setup, OK.

3. On the H&F toolbar, click the button for Switch Between Header and
Footer.

4. If you find yourself in the First Page Footer, leave it empty and click
the button for Show Next to get to the Footer.

5. On the toolbar, press the arrow beside Insert AutoText and choose "Page X
of Y." This will insert "Page { PAGE } of { NUMPAGES }."

6. Type "pages" after the second number. Lowercase the first "page" if
desired.

7. Press Ctrl+E in the paragraph to center it.

"JDoe" wrote in message
Go easy on a non-geek.

I've tried to absorb directions about Word's pagination. It's not easy
particularly when Word pages must

(1) start numbering from the 2nd page,

(2) read as "page 2 of 12 pages" "page 3 of 12 pages" etc

Could someone give me instructions in plain ordinary English language.
Perhaps readability at the sixth grade level? Seriously.

Thanks in advance.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
JDoe JDoe is offline

Oh, and I forgot to mention that the "page 2 of 12 pages" etc must appear at
the bottom center of each page. Again, thanks in advance.

"JDoe" wrote in message
Go easy on a non-geek.

I've tried to absorb directions about Word's pagination. It's not easy
particularly when Word pages must

(1) start numbering from the 2nd page,

(2) read as "page 2 of 12 pages" "page 3 of 12 pages" etc

Could someone give me instructions in plain ordinary English language.
Perhaps readability at the sixth grade level? Seriously.

Thanks in advance.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

Okay, I think your problem is with the space consumed by the header rather
than the header itself? You should have the same top margin on every page,
and this is where you will start typing. If your header exceeds the space
allowed for it, it will push the page text down, so you should set the top
margin you want for the page with the smallest margin, then use Space After
to create "breathing" room between the header and the document text.

For more on these subjects, see
http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/HeaderFooter.htm and
http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/Letterhead.htm. If you have graphic
elements in the header, see
http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/AnchorToHeader.htm.

"JDoe" wrote in message
Suzanne,

You've been a huge help! And made it so easy too. But one small glitch
remains. I believe I've followed your simple instructions to the "T" . .

..
but, there remains a header on the first page as well as on all subsequent
pages. How do I get rid of the blank header spaces? Because if left in
then I cannot type my letter or other stuff in that blank header space

which
leaves my typewritten stuff w/ a large space at the top of the printed

page.

Again, thanks in advance for your help. And the simplicity in which you
presented it too. BTW, you were correct in your assumption, I am using

Word
2003.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
[...]

newsgroup
so
all may benefit.

"JDoe" wrote in message
Go easy on a non-geek.

I've tried to absorb directions about Word's pagination. It's not

easy
particularly when Word pages must

(1) start numbering from the 2nd page,

(2) read as "page 2 of 12 pages" "page 3 of 12 pages" etc

Could someone give me instructions in plain ordinary English language.
Perhaps readability at the sixth grade level? Seriously.

Thanks in advance.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
JDoe JDoe is offline

Something strange happened, Suzanne. When I was actively following your
instructions and completed all, I left the Word document/window open and
typed my "glitch" comment and posted it here to this newsgroup thread. And
then I closed the Word program entirely. Assuming that the header and its
prohibition of not being able to type stuff w/i that header remained.

However, after reading your current post, I then re-opened the sample Word
document and lo and behold the header was gone! And of course since it's
gone, I can now type in that space where is was prior. Hhhmmmmm. Strange
indeed.

Everything appears to be A-okay. Thank you. And my regards to you.

.