Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
tkane06 tkane06 is offline

Default "correct spelling as you type" box problem

Why is it necessary to check this box EVERY time I open MS Word 2007? Why
can't I check it once and have it remain checked for future sessions? Same
thing happened in 2003 version. Thanks.

Tom
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

When settings don't take, it usually indicates registry corruption. I would
try the steps shown here to see if they help in getting settings to stay
set, paying particular attention to deleting/renaming the Data key:

http://word.mvps.org/FAQS/AppErrors/...peningWord.htm

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP
Author of the Word 2007 Bible

"tkane06" wrote in message
Why is it necessary to check this box EVERY time I open MS Word 2007? Why
can't I check it once and have it remain checked for future sessions?
Same
thing happened in 2003 version. Thanks.

Tom

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
tkane06 tkane06 is offline

"tkane06" wrote in message
Why is it necessary to check this box EVERY time I open MS Word 2007? Why
can't I check it once and have it remain checked for future sessions?
Same
thing happened in 2003 version. Thanks.

Tom

Thanks Herb, but
"Word opens very slowly; or crashes (or gives an error message) as soon as
it opens" is not the problem. I don't disagree it may be a registry problem,
but I don't have a clue as to where to go to fix with RegEdit. Your link
didn't give me a clue. Can you be more specific.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Did you look for "Data key" in that article?

In any event, for Word 2007 (aka Word 12) you're looking for:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\12.0\W ord\Data

Try renaming or deleting the Data key. Word will automatically rebuild it
the next time Word is started.

--

"tkane06" wrote in message
Why is it necessary to check this box EVERY time I open MS Word 2007?
Why
can't I check it once and have it remain checked for future sessions?
Same
thing happened in 2003 version. Thanks.

Tom

Thanks Herb, but
"Word opens very slowly; or crashes (or gives an error message) as soon as
it opens" is not the problem. I don't disagree it may be a registry
problem,
but I don't have a clue as to where to go to fix with RegEdit. Your link
didn't give me a clue. Can you be more specific.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
tkane06 tkane06 is offline

THANKS A MILLION, Herb! It was the "Data Key" and now seems to work great.
"correct spelling as you type" box stays checked when I open Word each time
now. I also shut down my PC where default printer is connected, and to which
my laptop is connected Wi-Fi, and the box remains checked when I open Word.
Thanks again,

Tom

"tkane06" wrote in message
Why is it necessary to check this box EVERY time I open MS Word 2007?
Why
can't I check it once and have it remain checked for future sessions?
Same
thing happened in 2003 version. Thanks.

Tom

Thanks Herb, but
"Word opens very slowly; or crashes (or gives an error message) as soon as
it opens" is not the problem. I don't disagree it may be a registry
problem,
but I don't have a clue as to where to go to fix with RegEdit. Your link
didn't give me a clue. Can you be more specific.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Nathan Nathan is offline

I have deleted the data key and it did not fix the problem. Any other
suggestions?

--
Thanks,
Nathan