Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
paul paul is offline

Default "don't adjust space between latin and asian text"

How do I modify the style of "normal" in an already existing document so that
"don't adjust space between latin and asian text" is removed from the list of
styles? This language style is not part of my "clean" normal.dot template,
but some how it got added to several of my business document templates.

Also, while we're at it....what makes Word automatically convert parts of a
document to styles like "body text" and tab positions unprovoked? Is there
anything that can be done to avert this short of turning "styles" off?

Thanks
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
DeanH DeanH is offline

I don't think this can be done by Modify.
Have you tried to change the Normal style in the affected document with one
from a clean template. So long as they have the same-ish settings you can do
the following. Even if they are not exactly the same, you can at least get a
clean Normal style and then modify it your requirements.
Go to Tools, Templates and Add-ins, Organizer, Close File (on the right
side), Open File (same button), select the clean template, select Normal,
copy over to the document (try this copy three times as Word seems to not
"register" the first time, ?).

Has this document come from some else as the "latin" and your "Body text"
issue usually occurs when a document is returned from another user and they
pasted content with these settings. And unfortunately this cannot be "turned
off" as styles is how Word wants to work and if users don't use Paste
Unformatted text when pasting in new content, they will always bring over
unwanted styles and formatting.

The tab positions is commonly know as "Jacob's Tabs" and is a bane of Word
user's lives. If you are 2003 on XP this seems to have been fixed, as I have
not had these since the upgrade.

This is for 2003 and prior, maybe different for 2007.
Hope this helps
DeanH

"Paul" wrote:

How do I modify the style of "normal" in an already existing document so that
"don't adjust space between latin and asian text" is removed from the list of
styles? This language style is not part of my "clean" normal.dot template,
but some how it got added to several of my business document templates.

Also, while we're at it....what makes Word automatically convert parts of a
document to styles like "body text" and tab positions unprovoked? Is there
anything that can be done to avert this short of turning "styles" off?

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Klaus Linke Klaus Linke is offline

"Paul" wrote:
How do I modify the style of "normal" in an already existing document so that
"don't adjust space between latin and asian text" is removed from the list of
styles? This language style is not part of my "clean" normal.dot template,
but some how it got added to several of my business document templates.

Also, while we're at it....what makes Word automatically convert parts of a
document to styles like "body text" and tab positions unprovoked? Is there
anything that can be done to avert this short of turning "styles" off?

Thanks

One thing you could try is to set "Tools Options Compatibility" to the recommended options for your version.

Else, like Dean, I think there's no simple way to get rid of the settings. I've seen them in my own docs a while ago after installing support for Asian languages and Arabic. IIRC, some things vanished after I uninstalled the support, and some things could be removed with VBA.
But I don't remember the details.

Regards,
Klaus