confused

Default document comes on left side of page

when i transfer my document from microsoft office2003 to microsoft word 2000
i can.t center the document. It comes out on the left side of the page ,and
when i transfer from my pictures to microsoft imaging the document is i guess
you would say coded it's all little small squar boxes Does anyone have any
idea how to fix this
problem .is there any good reading material out for trouble shooting .
THANKS
JOHN