Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Scott Meyers

Default Eliminating redundant spaces

I find that when I enter text in Word, it is not uncommon for me to type
multiple spaces between words or after punctuation, etc., especially when I'm
editing existing text. I'd like Word to automatically eliminate all spaces
after the first one. (This feature is called "Smart Spaces" in FrameMaker, the
word processing program I've used up to this point, and that feature is probably
one of the reasons I'm used to hitting the space bar too often.) I can't find
an autocorrect feature that does what I want, and my attempt to create an
autocorrect entry that would replace two adjacent spaces with one space failed,
because Word doesn't seem to accept two spaces as text that can be matched and
replaced.

Is there a way for me to get this functionality? I'm using Word 2002.

Thanks,

Scott
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Dawn Crosier, MVP

I find and replace two spaces with one space quite often. It is not
necessary to use wildcards or any other character other than the space bar
when filling in the Find and Replace textboxes.

Also, you can turn on grammar checking to give you a visual clue that you
just typed a double space.

Tools, Options, Spelling & Grammar. Locate the Settings button. In the
Grammar dialog box, change the Spaces required between sentences to 1.

--
Dawn Crosier
Microsoft MVP

This message was posted to a newsgroup, Please post replies and questions
to the group so that others can learn as well.
"Scott Meyers" wrote in message
I find that when I enter text in Word, it is not uncommon for me to type
multiple spaces between words or after punctuation, etc., especially when
I'm editing existing text. I'd like Word to automatically eliminate all
spaces after the first one. (This feature is called "Smart Spaces" in
FrameMaker, the word processing program I've used up to this point, and
that feature is probably one of the reasons I'm used to hitting the space
bar too often.) I can't find an autocorrect feature that does what I want,
and my attempt to create an autocorrect entry that would replace two
adjacent spaces with one space failed, because Word doesn't seem to accept
two spaces as text that can be matched and replaced.

Is there a way for me to get this functionality? I'm using Word 2002.

Thanks,

Scott

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Scott Meyers

Dawn Crosier, MVP wrote:
I find and replace two spaces with one space quite often. It is not
necessary to use wildcards or any other character other than the space bar
when filling in the Find and Replace textboxes.

Also, you can turn on grammar checking to give you a visual clue that you
just typed a double space.

Tools, Options, Spelling & Grammar. Locate the Settings button. In the
Grammar dialog box, change the Spaces required between sentences to 1.

I was aware of these options. What I'm looking for is a way to get Word to take
care of the problem automatically without any intervention on my part. Is there
no way to set this up?

Thanks,

Scott
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Chuck Davis

Scott,
Word can't correct all users errors automatically. The programmers have come
a long way since the first release, but there is just so much that can be
overcome.
Dawn Crosier, MVP wrote:
I find and replace two spaces with one space quite often. It is not
necessary to use wildcards or any other character other than the space
bar when filling in the Find and Replace textboxes.

Also, you can turn on grammar checking to give you a visual clue that you
just typed a double space.

Tools, Options, Spelling & Grammar. Locate the Settings button. In the
Grammar dialog box, change the Spaces required between sentences to 1.

I was aware of these options. What I'm looking for is a way to get Word
to take care of the problem automatically without any intervention on my
part. Is there no way to set this up?

Thanks,

Scott

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Graham Mayor

The best you can hope for is a macro attached to a toolbar button or
keyboard shortcut:

Sub ClearSpaces()
Selection.Find.ClearFormatting
Selection.Find.Replacement.ClearFormatting
With Selection.Find
.Text = "[ ]{2,}"
.Replacement.Text = " "
.Forward = True
.Wrap = wdFindContinue
.Format = False
.MatchCase = False
.MatchWholeWord = False
.MatchAllWordForms = False
.MatchSoundsLike = False
.MatchWildcards = True
End With
Selection.Find.Execute replace:=wdReplaceAll
End Sub