Adena Danielle

Default Chapter Headings, Page Numbers, and Table of Contents

I am working on a document that has about 35 pages. I have Heading 1
selected as my level one on my TOC. Headings 2, 3, and 4 are all as level
two on my TOC.

When I select a title, like "Electrical", I make it Heading one. Heading
one also is outline numbered, for my TOC. Under the Electrical heading I
want there to be a heading that says "Connectors". I have no problem
selecting the correct heading for certain subchapters. But, this document is
in a book format. All odd pages are excel spreadsheets and all even pages
are Tiff drawings. So, the "Electrical" heading should have it's page (for
the dwg) and the following page (for the excel sheet). Everytime I change
the level 2 heading from "normal" to "Heading 2", the page before it, and the
page after it also change to "Heading 2" even though there is no text on
those pages. Then, when I make my TOC, it lists that heading 2 three times.
I can't seem to figure out why it does this. I have restarted my document 3
times, and I don't know what to do.
Jean-Guy Marcil

Adena Danielle was telling us:
Adena Danielle nous racontait que :

[...]

You are probably using manual page breaks (Ctrl_Enter) to create new pages.
The page break takes on the style of the following paragraph, thus creating
the ghost entries in the TOC.
They are a pain to use in professional documents because of this.

Instead, since it seems each heading paragraph must start a new page, define
the heading style to have the paragraph attribute "Page break before"
activated (Format Sty and Formatting... Modify (your heading style)
Format Paragraph... Line and Page Breaks tab check the "Page break
before" option.). Make sure that each heading style you define this way has
its next paragraph style set to normal (or whatever body text style you
use), otherwise, every time you will hit "Enter" from a heading paragraph, a
new page with the heading paragraph will be added, unless that is what you
want...

Then using Find and Replace, replace all manual page breaks by nothing to
delete them all in one go (Replace ^m by nothing).

--
Salut!