Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
average_guy average_guy is offline

Default How to edit a scanned document with Word?

I am revising a procedure manual. The original version is scanned in to my
Word 2003 with an HP OCR reader (HP Director). I am able to save the
document in rich text format, but I cannot edit it. It will display in Word
very clearly, but I cannot get to the point of being able to edit the text to
update the manual. The pages have mostly just text, but there are some boxes
and blank lines for signatures of those approving the procedures. The text
varies in font size from about a 10 to about a 16 or 18 point type. If
anyone has any ideas about how to do this, it would be awesome. Thank You!
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

I hate HP's scanning software. You'd do better trying to find a support
group for that software because it's not a Word issue.

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

"average_guy" wrote in message
I am revising a procedure manual. The original version is scanned in to my
Word 2003 with an HP OCR reader (HP Director). I am able to save the
document in rich text format, but I cannot edit it. It will display in
Word
very clearly, but I cannot get to the point of being able to edit the text
update the manual. The pages have mostly just text, but there are some
boxes
and blank lines for signatures of those approving the procedures. The
text
varies in font size from about a 10 to about a 16 or 18 point type. If
anyone has any ideas about how to do this, it would be awesome. Thank
You!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
average_guy average_guy is offline

JoAnn: Thanks for the reply. Word issue or not, I still need to fix it. Any
advice on a workaround that I can do? I am running office 2003 on XP. I can
get the scanned document to come up in Word in a rich text format, but just
cannot edit it when it opens. Thanks!

"JoAnn Paules [MVP]" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Don Don is offline

"JoAnn Paules [MVP]" wrote in
:

Ask someone with HP's support.

Are you sure you have an .rtf file? It sounds more like an image if you
can't edit it.

I'm with JoAnn and inclined to believe you have an image saved as an object
in RTF.

Open the RTF with NotePad and see if it displays straight text.

or a bunch of gibberish.
Then open any JPG with Notepad and seeing similar gibberish will confirm
you have an image.

I OCR daily and in RTF files using WordPad as opposed to Word and have no
problem editing anything.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

I'm using the OEM version of PaperPort and using the OCR part of that is a
snap.

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]