Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Anisio Anisio is offline

Default An apparent corrupted file. How can I recover it?

I edited a file using word2003 and sent it via e-mail to a couple of
colleagues. Now I cannot open the file anymore but one of my colleagues can
open the very same file using a word2000 version. What the hell is going on
with the word2003? Note that I have run the repair office and nothing
changed. What might be wrong? Ah, no virus on my machine since the Macfee
updates itself every single day!

By the way the Word perfect can open the file after a long, very long open
cycle, while MSword just recover text with nonsense at all of the document
structure. Why?

Many thanks for anyone who could cast light upon the MSword that I've just
realised once again that is not perfect!

Anisio
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cindy M. Cindy M. is offline

Hi Aniso,

Difficult to say what might have gone wrong. I suggest you colleague save the
document, ZIP it, and send it back to you.

It's possible that when you saved your file (to a network location, perhaps?
Or a removable data media?) something went wrong and "jumbled" the file.

I edited a file using word2003 and sent it via e-mail to a couple of
colleagues. Now I cannot open the file anymore but one of my colleagues can
open the very same file using a word2000 version. What the hell is going on
with the word2003? Note that I have run the repair office and nothing
changed. What might be wrong? Ah, no virus on my machine since the Macfee
updates itself every single day!

By the way the Word perfect can open the file after a long, very long open
cycle, while MSword just recover text with nonsense at all of the document
structure. Why?

Many thanks for anyone who could cast light upon the MSword that I've just
realised once again that is not perfect!

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Anisio Anisio is offline

Hi Cindy,

thanks for your hint. I forgot to mention that I've already asked my
colleague to send the file back and that I couldn't open the file with
word2003. The problem seems to be with the Word2003. Something might have
happened with the Word configuration after I saved the file. Even the copy I
received back from my colleague can not be openned by word2003. Strange, that
this very same file can be openned by WordPerfect but the recover option of
word is n ot able to recover anything that makes sense. I thought repairing
office installation would bring word2003 back but has not. I'm thinking about
uninstalling word and installing it again to see if I can open this file.

Many thanks,

Anisio.

"Cindy M." wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cindy M. Cindy M. is offline

Hi ?B?QW5pc2lv?=,

I forgot to mention that I've already asked my
colleague to send the file back and that I couldn't open the file with
word2003. The problem seems to be with the Word2003. Something might have
happened with the Word configuration after I saved the file. Even the copy I
received back from my colleague can not be openned by word2003. Strange, that
this very same file can be openned by WordPerfect but the recover option of
word is n ot able to recover anything that makes sense. I thought repairing
office installation would bring word2003 back but has not. I'm thinking about
uninstalling word and installing it again to see if I can open this file.

If this is the only file you can't open, then I doubt the problem is with Word.
More likely it's something in the file. Could your Word 2000 colleague try
saving the file as a "web page" and also in RTF format, then send you both
files? Can Word 2003 open either of them?

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)