Bob Ostwald

Default Margin mark problem once again

I have read many messages in this newsgroup that explain that un-wanted
margin marks or crop marks that appear in Print Preview mode are caused by
having Asian languages enabled. And I've read Microsoft's directions on how
to use the MS Office Languages tool to disable these languages and remove
the margin marks. ( http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=839371 )

So far this has not worked for me. The marks are still there and "Asian
Layout" appears under the Format menu. I have only one version of MS Word
installed. I do have Outlook and Outlook Express installed and have checked
every option of theirs that I can think of. I have deleted Normal.dot and
rebooted, etc.

Would anyone have an additional ideas? I need to capture screen prints of
Word document pages for illustration use elsewhere and the margin marks must
be removed first.

Thank you very much for your help.

Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi Bob,

You have made certain that you don't have the "text boundaries" option
activated in Tools/Options/View? (Just double-checking the obvious, first)

You don't mention the version of Word, but I assume 2002 or 2003? There are
some things that have to do with Asian languages in the Setup list that could,
perhaps, be triggering this, such as "Office Shared Features/International
support" (that's the only one I see, at the moment, but I seem to recall
there's another, maybe under Word). You might check and uninstall these things,
see if that makes a difference.

[...]

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Bob Ostwald

Hi, Cindy,

Thanks for the ideas. Yes, it's Word 2003 and no, I don't have the "text
boundaries" option activated.

What is weird is that the margin marks only appeared a month or so ago after
many months of using Word. I wonder if it's possible that opening a document
that included Asian language text could have triggered the Asian language
features. I shared the Microsoft tech doc on margin marks with the head of
our tech services department who personally looked through the set-up on my
machine and came up blank as well. I will probably try a complete
uninstall/reinstall but the discussions I have read suggest that this does
not solve the problem.

I will, of course, inform this group if I find a solution.

Bob

"Cindy M -WordMVP-" wrote in message
[...]

reply
in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi Bob,

Yes, this does sound very much like Asian language stuff. You looked in the
Office Language Tools to make sure all languages except the one you're
currently using are deactivated? I just took a quick look for the first time in
ages in mine, and saw "Albanian" was activated. I sure never did that...

What is weird is that the margin marks only appeared a month or so ago after
many months of using Word. I wonder if it's possible that opening a document
that included Asian language text could have triggered the Asian language
features. I shared the Microsoft tech doc on margin marks with the head of
our tech services department who personally looked through the set-up on my
machine and came up blank as well. I will probably try a complete
uninstall/reinstall but the discussions I have read suggest that this does
not solve the problem.

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Bob Ostwald

Cindy,

In "Microsoft Office 2003 Language Settings," the only enabled language is
"English (U.S.)." I'm stumped.

Thanks for your suggestions.