Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
sgalecki sgalecki is offline

Default How do I add (restore) the footer section in a Word document?

I am editing a Word 2003 document and would like to use the footer. There is
a header but no footer present. How do I get the footer box?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

On the Header and Footer toolbar, click the Switch Between Header and Footer
button or just scroll down and click in the footer area.

http://word.mvps.org

"sgalecki" wrote in message
I am editing a Word 2003 document and would like to use the footer. There
is
a header but no footer present. How do I get the footer box?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

Open the Word 2003 document. Open the header (either by clicking
on View | Header and Footer, or by double-clicking the header).
Click on the "Switch Between Header and Footer" button on the
Header and Footer toolbar, or press the Down Arrow key on your
keyboard until the cursor appears in the footer.

sgalecki wrote:

I am editing a Word 2003 document and would like to use the footer. There is
a header but no footer present. How do I get the footer box?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
sgalecki sgalecki is offline

Thank you for replying, I wish it were that simple.
When I am in Header/Footer view, the header has a dashed box around it and
'Header' text on the upper right corner. There is no corresponding footer
box. Using the down arrow just moves me from the header of one page to the
header of the next page. Clicking on the "Switch Between Header and Footer"
brings me to the page bottom but any text I enter is put into the header....

"sgalecki" wrote in message
I am editing a Word 2003 document and would like to use the footer. There
is
a header but no footer present. How do I get the footer box?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

Ahhh... this would have been helpful information to include in
your original question. Try copying the whole document, except
for the final paragraph mark, into a new Word document. Then see
if you can access the footer in the new Word document.

sgalecki wrote:

I am editing a Word 2003 document and would like to use the footer. There is
a header but no footer present. How do I get the footer box?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
sgalecki sgalecki is offline

Thank you, that works well.
I think the 'problem' was the previous editor of the document put hidden
text into the footer. Copying everything except for the header and footer
took care of this and another formatting issue.

sgalecki wrote:

I am editing a Word 2003 document and would like to use the footer. There is
a header but no footer present. How do I get the footer box?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

Hidden text in the footer should not prevent you from accessing
the footer, and although you might not be able to see what you're
typing if your cursor happens to land somewhere in the hidden
text when you access the footer, the hidden text should not cause
what you're typing in the footer to appear in the header.

My guess is that the document has a corruption problem in it.
See http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/CorruptDoc.htm for more
information.