Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
JD2 JD2 is offline

Default My Places shortcuts disappearing

Dear Word Gurus,

A couple of our users (myself included), have had shortcuts they set up on
the My Places bar, disappear. We add them again, and they are not there when
we login again the next day.

Any suggestions why this might be happening, or more importantly, how to fix
it?

Any help appreciated

Regards
JD2
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

This is probably attributable to the way your log-in works. It seems likely
that your personal registry settings are not retained when you log out. You
need to check with your IT support.

JD2 wrote:
Dear Word Gurus,

A couple of our users (myself included), have had shortcuts they set
up on the My Places bar, disappear. We add them again, and they are
not there when we login again the next day.

Any suggestions why this might be happening, or more importantly, how
to fix it?

Any help appreciated

Regards
JD2

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
JD2 JD2 is offline

Dear Graham,

Thank you for your response. I'll speak to my network colleagues about this
one.

I appreciate you pointing me in the right direction.

Kind Regards
JD2
************

JD2 wrote:
Dear Word Gurus,

A couple of our users (myself included), have had shortcuts they set
up on the My Places bar, disappear. We add them again, and they are
not there when we login again the next day.

Any suggestions why this might be happening, or more importantly, how
to fix it?

Any help appreciated

Regards
JD2

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
JD2 JD2 is offline

Hi Graham,

Thank you again for your earlier suggestion. I've spoken to my Network
Administrator, but he is unsure as to how to proceed or what to look for ...
could I bother you for a little more clarification?

I have done a little research on Technet to try and understand how My Places
shortcuts work (I'm not normally a techhie ... I just do Microsoft Office
training!).

Anyway, from what I can gather, there are settings for My Places in the
Registry, and also links (.lnk files) that get updated via the login script,
etc. Am I on the right track? I just need to be able to explain it to my
Network Administrator, so he can work out what to look for in the script that
might be causing the issue.

Any further clarification would be most appreciated

Kind regards
JD2

JD2 wrote:
Dear Word Gurus,

A couple of our users (myself included), have had shortcuts they set
up on the My Places bar, disappear. We add them again, and they are
not there when we login again the next day.

Any suggestions why this might be happening, or more importantly, how
to fix it?

Any help appreciated

Regards
JD2

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

The My Places shortcuts are explained on my web site at
http://www.gmayor.com/customize_the_word_places_bar.htm

It appears that your personal registry settings are wiped when you log out.
To retain the settings, you need to ensure that the settings in

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\11.0\C ommon\Open Find\Places

(Office 2003 shown) are saved during or before the log out and then
re-merged into the registry when (or after) you have logged in.

JD2 wrote:
Dear Word Gurus,

A couple of our users (myself included), have had shortcuts they set
up on the My Places bar, disappear. We add them again, and they are
not there when we login again the next day.

Any suggestions why this might be happening, or more importantly,
how to fix it?

Any help appreciated

Regards
JD2

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
JD2 JD2 is offline

Dear Graham,

Thank you for providing further explanation. I'm sure this will help us get
to the bottom of things.

I appreciate your time and effort.

Kind regards
JD2