Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
LurfysMa LurfysMa is offline

Default Word 2007: can't insert section breaks if window too narrow

If I have the document window too narrow, the Page Setup section of
the Page Layout tab starts losing options, like the Breaks. There is
not even any indication that some options are missing.

Is there some way to make this work better? Can I make the section
expand to full size when I hover over it or something? Is there some
way to scroll to the missing options?

The damned ribbons take up too much space. Maybe all of the developers
at Microsoft have dual 30" monitors, but those of us in the real world
have limited space.

--
Running Word 2000 SP-3 on Windows 2000
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Dawn Crosier, Word MVP Dawn Crosier, Word MVP is offline

The icons are still there, however they do lose the text that is associated
with them. The narrower you go with your window, the more that gets
compressed. However, I took my window to 360x360 and could still see the
tabs and the groups. When you click on a Group, it expanded out so that I
could see the commands within the group.

As for the ribbon taking up too much room. Try double clicking on a tab.
Then the ribbon will compress into just the tab names.You can then click on
a tab to temporarily expand it so you can select a command out of one of its
related groups.

--
Dawn Crosier
Microsoft MVP

This message was posted to a newsgroup, Please post replies and questions
to the group so that others can learn as well.
"LurfysMa" wrote in message
If I have the document window too narrow, the Page Setup section of
the Page Layout tab starts losing options, like the Breaks. There is
not even any indication that some options are missing.

Is there some way to make this work better? Can I make the section
expand to full size when I hover over it or something? Is there some
way to scroll to the missing options?

The damned ribbons take up too much space. Maybe all of the developers
at Microsoft have dual 30" monitors, but those of us in the real world
have limited space.

--
Running Word 2000 SP-3 on Windows 2000

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

That's the way it works. The ribbon has to be accommodated for those still
using 15" monitors running 1024x768 to those with 24" widescreen monitors
running 1680x1024 or even higher. The ribbon population expands and
contracts to fit the real estate available.

You can help it a bit by removing unwanted styles from the Styles gallery
and limiting to displaying just those you use regularly. Be assured that we
have told the developers about the wasted space. This was my one real bug
against the Ribbons. It isn't that I don't like the Ribbons, it is because I
(me not the developer) should be able to decide what buttons I want
displayed in each group out of the box and not with XML programming or third
party tools. That dammed Clipboard group is hideous. I NEVER use buttons for
Cut, Copy or Paste and why is half the space wasted with the long word
'Format Painter'. Just think of the space that a simple 'FP' would save (if
it needs text at all). Personally, I would dump that group and make room for
some useful commands - but there isn't a way for mortals to do it.

I just pray that the Developers are listening and give the users the power
to add/remove/change the command buttons populating each group and at least
the possibility of creating a custom Ribbon with the users' choice of
Groups. It is all well and good providing the QAT (which is a godsend) but
if the Ribbons are the new sliced bread, how does the QAT fit in with that
ethos?

Terry Farrell