Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jen

Default Adding title in header using form field

I am creating a document template. The title of the document is located in
the header, but there is a different first page header...so, the title needs
to be entered in two places.

I was thinking that a good way to handle this would be to use an ASK field
to prompt the user for the document name, then use the results to populate
both headers at once. (I am very new to using fields, so bear with me here).

Seems simple...but I can't get it to work. I put the ASK field in the header:
{ ASK DocTitle "Type the document title" \* MERGEFORMAT }

And I tried to put the REF field ({ REF DOCTITLE }) right next to it, but it
won't allow me to put it in the header. Just as a test, I put it in the body
of the document. It does prompt me, but doesn't update the REF field.

As well, I'm putting these fields in the template...when I create a new
document based on the template, I'd like it to automatically prompt me for
the title, but it doesn't.

Is there any way to get this to work? Or is there perhaps a better solution?

TIA,
Jen
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Charles Kenyon

If you format your title, in the body of the document, using the Title
style, you can use a StyleRef field in your header.
--
Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.

"Jen" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jen

Thanks Charles...but the title never appears in the body of the document -
just in the two headers. Is it still possible to do this?

"Jen" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Charles Kenyon

If your first-page header only appears on the first page, why not do away
with it altogether and put the text in the body at the top of the page?