Anne at Duke

Default Why can't I unlink footnotes between chapters?

I'm editing a paper using MS Word 2003. The footnotes numbers are in brackets
that can't be deleted and I can't get them to restart at 1 at the beginning
of each chapter using the methods on the MS on-line help site. Any ideas?

Anne at Duke

Nope. MS Word all the way. What we have discovered this afternoon is that the
problem originated when the document was sent in an e-mail to me (not as an
attachment, but in the e-mail itself) using the Outlook e-mail system we have
at the Divinity School at Duke. Our strategy is to cut and paste all of the
note material into another temp. document, delete the note numbers from the
text of the master document, and then cut and paste the note text back in
using the "insert footnote" function.

If you have a better idea, we'd love to try it. There are 468 footnotes in
this document.
Thanks, Anne

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Was the paper created in another application (such as WordPerfect) or using
an add-in such as EndNote?

"Anne at Duke" Anne at wrote in message
news
I'm editing a paper using MS Word 2003. The footnotes numbers are in

brackets
that can't be deleted and I can't get them to restart at 1 at the

beginning
of each chapter using the methods on the MS on-line help site. Any ideas?

Well, I recently looked at a document with similar problems (and it *had*
originated in WP), and the solution I proposed (which, it turned out, had
already been implemented by the time the questioner got my answer) was
similar but less trouble. I ascertained that the "fake" footnotes didn't
renumber when one was deleted, and they were distinguished from the "real"
ones by not having a bounding box around the footnote reference mark. So
instead of cutting and pasting the text into another document, you can
actually work very well in the same document, as follows:

1. Before the first footnote reference mark, insert a new footnote
(Ctrl+Alt+F). Word opens the footnote pane with an empty footnote 1; "fake"
footnote 1 will immediately follow it.

2. Select and drag the content of "fake" footnote 1 into "real" footnote 1.

3. Return to the document body and delete the footnote reference mark for
"fake" footnote 1. This will also delete the residue of the fake footnote in
the footnote pane.

4. Repeat 467 times.

FWIW, the document I looked at had 188 footnotes, and this replacement
process reportedly took less than an hour.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Was the paper created in another application (such as WordPerfect) or

using
an add-in such as EndNote?

Word MVP FAQ site:
http://word.mvps.org

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"Anne at Duke" Anne at wrote in message
news
I'm editing a paper using MS Word 2003. The footnotes numbers are in

brackets
that can't be deleted and I can't get them to restart at 1 at the

beginning
of each chapter using the methods on the MS on-line help site. Any

ideas?

Anne at Duke

As I live and breathe, Suzanne, I think this solution of yours is going to
work. I tried it out on a couple of footnotes and originally couldn't get the
spacing to correct itself when the switch was made. Then I noticed that the
tracking feature was still on (habits die hard in the editing business).
Turned that off and tried my test again and it works perfectly. Thanks for
suggesting this quicker solution. It only took you and 6 people on our end to
get this straightened out.

Best, Anne

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Was the paper created in another application (such as WordPerfect) or

using
an add-in such as EndNote?

Word MVP FAQ site:
http://word.mvps.org

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"Anne at Duke" Anne at wrote in message
news I'm editing a paper using MS Word 2003. The footnotes numbers are in
brackets
that can't be deleted and I can't get them to restart at 1 at the
beginning
of each chapter using the methods on the MS on-line help site. Any

ideas?

The further complications in the document I looked at were that:

1. The Footnote Reference style had been modified to be not superscript. The
footnote reference marks in the "fake" footnotes were superscript, but it
was direct font formatting and not the Footnote Reference style. So the
Footnote Reference style needed to be modified.

2. The "fake" footnotes were in directly formatted Normal style. The
Footnote Text style had to be modified to match that formatting, but since
only the footnote text (without paragraph mark) was being dragged from
"fake" note to "real," this sorted itself out nicely.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Was the paper created in another application (such as WordPerfect)

or
using
an add-in such as EndNote?

Word MVP FAQ site:
http://word.mvps.org

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"Anne at Duke" Anne at wrote in

message
news I'm editing a paper using MS Word 2003. The footnotes numbers are

in
brackets
that can't be deleted and I can't get them to restart at 1 at the
beginning
of each chapter using the methods on the MS on-line help site.

Any
ideas?

Footnotes and sections combined Lynnie Page Layout 3 April 1st 05 04:28 PM
Hidden footnotes Wick Tables 1 February 27th 05 04:05 AM
Footnotes Matt NZ Formatting Long Documents 1 February 18th 05 12:59 AM
How do you view only footnotes and/or make a list of footnotes? Secretary short on time. Microsoft Word Help 2 December 28th 04 10:50 PM
footnotes with multiple sections dcn1396 Microsoft Word Help 3 December 20th 04 02:47 AM