Gavin0268

Default Table of contents spilling into main doc

Hi
I've created a document (W2003) with header styles, and a table of contents
(with hyperlinks to each header). All works well, except between the table of
contents and the first Heading 1 (ie 1 Title), where I have a page break.
there is a blank line, which seems to be part of the TOC, but isn't shaded.
When I update the TOC, the page break disappears and the first header 1 buts
onto the bottom of the TOC. I've tried resetting the blank line to be body
text to no avail.
What I've also tried to do is have a short paragraph of body text between
the TOC and Heading 1, on the same page as the TOC, detailing some
definitions - this text automatically gets inserted into the TOC, and is
deleted when I update!
Where am I going wrong - any suggestions wlecomed!
Thanks
Stefan Blom

It seems as if you are inserting the page break inside the table of
contents field. To avoid this, press Alt+F9 to display field codes and
then make sure that the insertion point is outside the field as you
insert the page break. When you are done, press Alt+F9 again to hide
field codes.

A different solution (and a better one) is not to use manual page
breaks and instead add "Page break before" formatting to your first
Heading 1 paragraph: On the Format menu, click Paragraph. Click the
Line and Page Breaks tab. Check "Page break before", and click OK.

Note that if you want *every* Heading 1 to start on a new page, you
could add the formatting to the style instead.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP