Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Jim[_2_] Jim[_2_] is offline

Default Page Numbers in Word 2007

Hi,
I just upgraded to Word 2007. I can't seem to figure out how to insert page
numbers. I find what I think is the command in the ribbon but it grayed
out. Can anyone help?
Thanks, Jim

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
JoAnn Paules[_2_] JoAnn Paules[_2_] is offline

Insert - click on the Page Numbers icon about 2/3 of the way across the
ribbon.

--

JoAnn Paules
Microsoft MVP - Publisher

How to ask a question
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375

"Jim" wrote in message
Hi,
I just upgraded to Word 2007. I can't seem to figure out how to insert
page numbers. I find what I think is the command in the ribbon but it
grayed out. Can anyone help?
Thanks, Jim

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
BoniM BoniM is offline

If the insert page number button is not available, it probably means you are
in web layout view. Click the view tab to check. If you are in Web Layout,
switch to Print Layout and the insert page number button should become
available.

"Jim" wrote:

Hi,
I just upgraded to Word 2007. I can't seem to figure out how to insert page
numbers. I find what I think is the command in the ribbon but it grayed
out. Can anyone help?
Thanks, Jim

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
JimC JimC is offline

Hi JoAnn,
I did what you suggest and it doesn't work. The buttons are on the ribbon
but when I try to insert page numbers the command is grayed out.
Thanks, Jim

"Jim" wrote in message
Hi,
I just upgraded to Word 2007. I can't seem to figure out how to insert
page numbers. I find what I think is the command in the ribbon but it
grayed out. Can anyone help?
Thanks, Jim

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

Hi Jim,

As an experiment, can you insert a cover page, or a header or footer?

If none of that works, you probably have a damaged Building
Blocks.dotx file (where all of these things live).

If that's the case, close Word and open Windows Explorer. In the
address box, type (or copy/paste from here)

%appdata%\Microsoft\Document Building Blocks\1033

and press Enter. You should see the Building Blocks.dotx file there.
Either move it to another folder or delete it. Then restart Word,
which will make a new file. Try your page numbers now.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

"Jim" wrote in message
Hi,
I just upgraded to Word 2007. I can't seem to figure out how to insert
page numbers. I find what I think is the command in the ribbon but it
grayed out. Can anyone help?
Thanks, Jim

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
KR^ishhNamalaghnataH KR^ishhNamalaghnataH is offline

Dear Jay,
I was having the same "greyed-out" page number issue and your advice to
delete that file and restart Word fixed it.
Thanks.
--
Philoglossist (a.k.a. KaamabhaashhikaH).
... denn so redet m i r die Gerechtigkeit: die Menschen sind nicht

"Jim" wrote in message
Hi,
I just upgraded to Word 2007. I can't seem to figure out how to insert
page numbers. I find what I think is the command in the ribbon but it
grayed out. Can anyone help?
Thanks, Jim

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Jim[_2_] Jim[_2_] is offline

Yep, the suggestion fixed my problem too. Thanks again Jay!

"KR^ishhNamalaghnataH" wrote
in message ...