Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Uddhava Uddhava is offline

Default Foreign accents not displaying

Dear all,

I am using MS Word 2003. I have a PDF in English with a few foreign ie using
Latin characters but with dots, accents etc. When I copy and paste to MS
Word, the accents, dots etc are converted to gobbledegook and will not
display correctly.

any suggestions please??

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Pesach Shelnitz[_2_] Pesach Shelnitz[_2_] is offline

Hi Uddhava,

I don't have your PDF file, but I found a PDF with lots of accented letters
at http://www.typo.cz/euro/_typo/images/letters.pdf. I then copied and pasted
the first page of this file into a blank Word 2003 file that uses the Times
New Roman font as the default. At first, most of the letters seemed to have
lost their accents, but then I clicked on the little Paste Options button
with the clipboard icon and selected the Keep Text Only option, and
everything looked fine. You should also have the save success with any PDF
file that was created with Unicode fonts.

The following was copied and pasted directly from my Word 2003 file and
faithfully repeats the original source.

Albanian
çÇ ëË
Czech
áÁ čČ ďĎ éÉ ěĚ *Í ňŇ óÓ řŘ š* ťŤ úÚ ůŮ Ýý žŽ
Danish
åÅ æÆ øØ
Estonian
äÄ čČ öÖ š* üÜ źŹ žŽ
Finish
åÅ äÄ öÖ
French
*À â çÇ èÈ éÉ êÊ ëË îÎ ïÏ ôÔ oeOE ùÙ
Dutch
*À áÁ â æÆ èÈ éÉ êÊ ëË ìÌ *Í îÎ ïÏ ijIJ òÒ óÓ ôÔ ùÙ
úÚ ûÛ üÜ
Croatian
čČ ćĆ đĐ š* žŽ
Icelandic
áÁ æÆ ðÐ éÉ *Í óÓ öÖ úÚ ýÝ þÞ
Italian
*À èÈ ìÌ òÒ ùÙ
Lithuanian
ąĄ čČ ęĘ ėĖ š* ųŲ ūŪ žŽ

--
Hope this helps,
Pesach Shelnitz

"Uddhava" wrote:

Dear all,

I am using MS Word 2003. I have a PDF in English with a few foreign ie using
Latin characters but with dots, accents etc. When I copy and paste to MS
Word, the accents, dots etc are converted to gobbledegook and will not
display correctly.

any suggestions please??

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

The pdf may have been created with non-Unicode fonts, so when you use
modern fonts that _do_ respect Unicode, you won't see the accents,
because in the olden days they had to squeeze them wherever they'd fit
into the 255-character limit for any one font.

On Aug 3, 11:36*am, Uddhava wrote:
Dear all,

I am using MS Word 2003. I have a PDF in English with a few foreign ie using
Latin characters but with dots, accents etc. When I copy and paste to MS
Word, *the accents, dots etc are converted to gobbledegook and will not
display correctly.

any suggestions please??

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Uddhava Uddhava is offline

Thanks for replies. The PDF document is quite new but Pesach's suggestion
doesn't seem to work. I have uploaded a 2 page extract in case anyone would
care to try....

http://www.scribd.com/share/upload/1...0ktk4p1qecdxvr

thanx
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

The document may be new, but the fonts can be old.

Just a few weeks ago, a professor in India sent me a chapter in Word
about Gurmukhi script using some sort of non-Unicode font for the
Gurmukhi, in which I see nothing, and no pdf, so I'll have to figure
out which letters to type on my own.

On Aug 3, 7:54*pm, Uddhava wrote:
Thanks for replies. The PDF document is quite new but Pesach's suggestion
doesn't seem to work. I have uploaded a 2 page extract in case anyone would
care to try....

http://www.scribd.com/share/upload/1...0ktk4p1qecdxvr

thanx

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Uddhava Uddhava is offline

Sorry I should have said I am using Word 2007 not 2003 in case that makes a
difference.

Peter can you tell whether my font is unicode or not?

thanks

On Aug 3, 7:54 pm, Uddhava wrote:
Thanks for replies. The PDF document is quite new but Pesach's suggestion
doesn't seem to work. I have uploaded a 2 page extract in case anyone would
care to try....

http://www.scribd.com/share/upload/1...0ktk4p1qecdxvr

thanx

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Not by looking at it; you can tell by opening the Insert Symbol panel
(the Omega icon at the right of the Insert tab, then More Symbols);
choose the font in the upper left window. Set the dropdown near the
lower right to Unicode. If the choice "Unicode" isn't available,
that's your problem, and you'll need to retype the accented letters
after you switch to a newer font. The letters with macrons (long-
marks) are in the Latin Extended-A group (dropdown at the upper
right). If you're going to type a lot of accented letters, you can
assign keyboard shortcuts to them. (I use Ctrl-Alt-P, hyphen, followed
by the letter, for macrons.)

On Aug 3, 7:54 pm, Uddhava wrote:
Thanks for replies. The PDF document is quite new but Pesach's suggestion
doesn't seem to work. I have uploaded a 2 page extract in case anyone would
care to try....

http://www.scribd.com/share/upload/1...0ktk4p1qecdxvr

thanx- Hide quoted text -

Accents pubscout New Users 16 June 12th 07 03:23 AM
How do you add accents? PumpkinKingExtraordinaire Microsoft Word Help 3 February 10th 07 04:51 AM
Accents Riverturn Microsoft Word Help 2 January 25th 07 05:30 PM
Accents Bill New Users 5 November 1st 05 01:38 AM
Using foreign language accents with Speech? birdfishy Microsoft Word Help 4 August 27th 05 05:11 PM