Kim K

Default Lines in forms to type on

I asked this question last week and thanks to Suzanne's response I was able
to create the form, for simple fill in the blank areas such as name and date,
however, since creating the Macro does not wrap text, what is the easiest way
to create 8 lines under a question that allows the user to type on them
without moving the lines, that wraps the text etc. I tried drawing lines,
and tables, but they all move when the text wraps. There has to be a simple
way to do this.
--
Thanks,,
Kim

This can be done with drawing lines, but it will be fiddly. First determine
the desired line spacing. For lines that can be filled in by hand, 24 pts
(double spacing on a typewriter) is a good standard, so set your paragraph
line spacing to Exactly 24 pts. It will help to insert some dummy text
temporarily (you can use lorem ipsum text of quick brown foxes as explained
at http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting/DummyText.htm).

Draw a single line under the first line of text in the paragraph. It will
probably jump out of the paragraph, but right-click on it, choose Format |
AutoShape, and select Behind Text on the Layout tab. Click on Advanced and
make sure that the horizontal position is 0" relative to column and note
what the vertical position is relative to paragraph (in my test, it was
0.32"). Click on the Size tab and make sure the line is margin width (I drew
a line from margin to margin but found it was 6.49" rather than 6.5", so I
adjusted that).

Once you've got the first line done, you can Copy and Paste it as many times
as necessary. Because the line is Behind Text, you'll need to use the Select
Objects tool to select it. You can drag each line visually or use Format
AutoShape to set the position exactly. I found that when I placed the second
line by eye, it ended up at 0.64" vertically, just as I expected. Keep
placing lines at increments of 0.34".

But now you have a problem: If you delete the text you inserted as a guide,
you will delete the lines alone with the paragraph. If you delete all but
the paragraph mark, the lines will remain, but text below will move up to
fill the space. Since you want to limit the text entry to eight lines,
anyway, your best bet is to start with text in a table cell (unbordered) set
to the exact height that will contain the eight lines of text. It may take
some trial and error to get this right, but if you do it correctly, you
should be able to type on the lines in the table cell. When the cell is
full, users can continue typing, but their typing will begin to disappear.