Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Rob Yak Rob Yak is offline

Default format breaks - argh!

I'm trying to create a document template that my colleagues can use to write
their curriculae in one standard format. I format the first page and all
works fine. The second page has smaller margins and three colums (first has
wide left and top margin and two columns). When I move from the first page to
the second, all the formatting for page 1 overflows onto page two, kicking my
page two formatting to page 3. All I want is a two column page 1 and a 3
column page 2. I keep fiddling with section breaks and nothing changes.
Perhaps my version of Word is corrupted? Perhaps the problem is right in
front of me and I'm too dumb to see it?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Jezebel Jezebel is offline

The core problem is a misunderstanding about how Word works. Word is not a
page layout program (like Publisher or PageMaker) where you start with empty
pages and pour text into them. Word starts with the text, and formats it
into pages. The page is a consequence of the text, not its container. Thus,
what you are trying to do is fundamentally at odds with Word's capability .
And as you've found, it doesn't work.