Larry

Default document closes when I click on hyperlink to another document

I'm sure this has been asked a thousand times

In Word 97, how can I prevent a document (if it has no unsaved changes
in it) from closing when I click on a hyperlink to another document?
This default behavior makes no sense to me. Why should Word assume
that, because I want to open a linked document from the active document,
that I want to close the active document when the new document opens?

Thanks
Larry

Beth Melton

You can use the /n switch to prevent the document from closing but in
Word 97 the only way I have found for this to work correctly is to
insert the hyperlinks using Insert/Field and add the switch there. If
I just add the \n to the existing hyperlink field then the document
will close after clicking the link.

If there are a lot of hyperlinks that need to be corrected then here's
the steps I've used in the past:

- Go to Insert/Field and select the Hyperlink field
- Add only the /n switch to the Hyperlink field and insert it into the
document (it will display as an error).
- Use Alt + F9 to toggle the field codes
- Copy the Hyperlink field
- Insert the file path into the Hyperlink field
- Paste the Hyperlink field and insert the next file path, etc.
- Press Alt + F9 to toggle off the display of field codes
- Press Ctrl + A to select the entire document
- Press F9 to update all of the Hyperlink fields

Otherwise if the document is dirty then it will not close when you
click a hyperlink.

FWIW versions after Word 97 do not exhibit the same behavior - they
modified it due to user feedback.

Beth Melton
Microsoft Office MVP

Word FAQ: http://mvps.org/word