Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
cayce cayce is offline

Default styles location in drop down on formatting toolbar

Is there a way in W97 to move selected styles to the top of the list in the
drop down box on the formatting toolbar? Here's why this would help us.

There are 30+ users who are now working with newly created styles. All these
styles are bunched together in the drop down menu from the formating toolbar
since their names start with the same 1st 2 letters. However, they appear far
below many other styles in the drop down menu. When the user needs to apply
one of the styles, they always have to scroll down. It would save their time
if they could always be at the top of the list. If this is not possible, is
there any other way to create a customized button with a drop down that
contains styles we choose to put into it.

Ideas and suggestions would be appreciated.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

Rename those styles to have an underscore at the beginning, like _MyStyle.
Those will sort to the top of the list.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

cayce wrote:
Is there a way in W97 to move selected styles to the top of the list
in the drop down box on the formatting toolbar? Here's why this would
help us.

There are 30+ users who are now working with newly created styles.
All these styles are bunched together in the drop down menu from the
formating toolbar since their names start with the same 1st 2
letters. However, they appear far below many other styles in the drop
down menu. When the user needs to apply one of the styles, they
always have to scroll down. It would save their time if they could
always be at the top of the list. If this is not possible, is there
any other way to create a customized button with a drop down that
contains styles we choose to put into it.

Ideas and suggestions would be appreciated.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

Hmm, I don't know... haven't had 97 installed for a couple of years now.
Still, if the custom styles started at the 6th position instead of further
down, that would eliminate a lot of scrolling.

To answer the OP's other question, yes, a macro / userform solution could be
built to display a specific list of styles, in whatever order you choose.
Another (easier) possibility is to create a custom toolbar with buttons for
the styles, and/or keyboard shortcuts for the styles. See
http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/Custom...oToToolbar.htm and
http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/Custom...roToHotkey.htm.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote:
Will this work in Word 97? I think that version forced Normal, DPF,
and Headings 1-3 (at minimum) to the top of the list regardless of
stylename.

"Jay Freedman" wrote in message
Rename those styles to have an underscore at the beginning, like
_MyStyle. Those will sort to the top of the list.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman
newsgroup so all may benefit.

cayce wrote:
Is there a way in W97 to move selected styles to the top of the list
in the drop down box on the formatting toolbar? Here's why this
would help us.

There are 30+ users who are now working with newly created styles.
All these styles are bunched together in the drop down menu from the
formating toolbar since their names start with the same 1st 2
letters. However, they appear far below many other styles in the
drop down menu. When the user needs to apply one of the styles, they
always have to scroll down. It would save their time if they could
always be at the top of the list. If this is not possible, is there
any other way to create a customized button with a drop down that
contains styles we choose to put into it.

Ideas and suggestions would be appreciated.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Kat Kat is offline

You could create a custom toolbar or a custom menu with those frequently used
styles.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
cayce cayce is offline

THANKS Jay. I was able to create a custom menu. My coworkers will be giddy
with this new timesaver.

cayce wrote:
Is there a way in W97 to move selected styles to the top of the list
in the drop down box on the formatting toolbar? Here's why this
would help us.

There are 30+ users who are now working with newly created styles.
All these styles are bunched together in the drop down menu from the
formating toolbar since their names start with the same 1st 2
letters. However, they appear far below many other styles in the
drop down menu. When the user needs to apply one of the styles, they
always have to scroll down. It would save their time if they could
always be at the top of the list. If this is not possible, is there
any other way to create a customized button with a drop down that
contains styles we choose to put into it.

Ideas and suggestions would be appreciated.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
cayce cayce is offline

Thanks for the suggestion Jay. This is closer but... no cigar. I tested by
renaming one style as you suggested. It did move to the top of the style
organizer window, but not to the top of the list in the drop down on the
formatting toolbar.

Other ideas would be welcomed.