Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
glr glr is offline

Default Incorporating PostNet Bar Code with Mail Merge

Thanks to Peter Jamieson for solving my most significant problem described in
my prior post.

Final issue - having trouble getting the Postnet bar code field to work. My
result is "no bookmark name". The zip is of course a component of the
AddressBlock

After the addressblock I used the following command path: Insert / Field...
/ BarCode and toggled on POSTNET bar code. Again, the result is "no bookmark
name!"

Not critical but would like to learn how this function works.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

Before even trying to use POSTNET barcode fields in Word, please
consider the following...

If you are not using postnet barcodes for bulk mailing discounts, the USPS
has an article saying
that

"unless you are preparing a mailing for automation rates, you should NOT put
barcodes on the mailpieces. As long as the mailing address is correct, your
mail will still be processed efficiently without a barcode-and
you won't need to worry about having the wrong barcode on your mail."

http://www.usps.com/businessmail101/...tsBarcoded.htm

One of the links in the article says that you can't get an automation-rate
discount unless your mailing list has been verified by Coding Accuracy
Support System (CASS) software and you're sending at least 200 or 500 pieces
(depending on the mail class) at one time.

Part of the problem is that the standards for generating barcodes have
changed over the years and Word's feature has not kept up. Microsoft has a
general
article about this he:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/897290

There's a specific article about the problem with "multi-unit buildings"
he

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/220548

In other words, if you're using USPS barcodes for bulk mailing discounts,
you have to use a package other than Word. If you aren't, you don't need
them and probably shouldn't use them at all.

Peter Jamieson

http://tips.pjmsn.me.uk

glr wrote:
Thanks to Peter Jamieson for solving my most significant problem described in
my prior post.

Final issue - having trouble getting the Postnet bar code field to work. My
result is "no bookmark name". The zip is of course a component of the
AddressBlock

After the addressblock I used the following command path: Insert / Field...
/ BarCode and toggled on POSTNET bar code. Again, the result is "no bookmark
name!"

Not critical but would like to learn how this function works.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
glr glr is offline

glr wrote:
Thanks to Peter Jamieson for solving my most significant problem described in
my prior post.

Final issue - having trouble getting the Postnet bar code field to work. My
result is "no bookmark name". The zip is of course a component of the
AddressBlock

After the addressblock I used the following command path: Insert / Field...
/ BarCode and toggled on POSTNET bar code. Again, the result is "no bookmark
name!"

Not critical but would like to learn how this function works.

Peter,

I noticed the warnings in the prior posts. I am using the zip +4 format. I
am interested in the format to speed mailing and not for discount purposes.
Finally, none of the recipients are in multi-family homes.

Having said that, can I get this to work?

Regards,

Greg
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

I'm not convinced that "speed mailing" alters this...

"
unless you are preparing a mailing for automation rates, you should NOT put
barcodes on the mailpieces. As long as the mailing address is correct, your
mail will still be processed efficiently without a barcode
"
if you look around, you'll find the instructions for using BARCODE
fields, but I don't see how you can be sure that they will be the
correct barcode fields even when you provide a 9-digit ZIP

Peter Jamieson

http://tips.pjmsn.me.uk