Jerry Slocombe

Default Creating A Macro To Create Address Labels

Bear with me as I'm new to this.
I thought I would create a macro to produce the necessary address labels to
save me and my people having to type in the whole process each time.
I selected Avery A4 and A5 sizes - L7159 but this info wasn't included in
the created macro.
When I run the macro it only placed four addresses on a page.
When I'm stepping through the process to create the macro there are 24
address labels per page, as expected.
Any ideas?

Thanks,
Jerry Slocombe
Still Learning
Anne Troy

Why don't you just use mail merge?
http://www.officearticles.com/word/m...osoft_word.htm

You can save the mail merge document before you merge the labels. Change the
data source any time you like, run the merge again.

*******************
~Anne Troy

www.OfficeArticles.com
www.MyExpertsOnline.com

"Jerry Slocombe" wrote in message
Bear with me as I'm new to this.
I thought I would create a macro to produce the necessary address labels

save me and my people having to type in the whole process each time.
I selected Avery A4 and A5 sizes - L7159 but this info wasn't included in
the created macro.
When I run the macro it only placed four addresses on a page.
When I'm stepping through the process to create the macro there are 24
address labels per page, as expected.
Any ideas?

Thanks,
Jerry Slocombe
Still Learning

Jerry Slocombe

Hi Anne,

Does your reply only apply to Word 2003?
I'm using Word 2000 and have different options to those advised in
http://www.officearticles.com/word/m...osoft_word.htm
--
Jerry Slocombe
Still Learning

"Anne Troy" wrote:

[...]

Jerry Slocombe

Anne,

Are you saying that I can set up the correct 'template' for the labels and
then only have to change the data source?
If so, which file do I need to save - Labels1 or Document1?
I assume that I can then open that file and just change the data source?
Apologies for being slow but how do I do that?
--
Jerry Slocombe
Still Learning

"Anne Troy" wrote:

[...]

Anne Troy

No problem, Jerry.
Save Document1. Labels1 is the labels already created, right? Here's Mail
Merge for 2000:

http://www.theofficeexperts.com/word.htm#MailMerge
*******************

"Anne Troy" wrote:

[...]

Jerry Slocombe

Hi Anne,

Thanks for your help. I can now open the 'template' (Document1) before
hitting Mail Merge to select the data source before merging and printing.
The next challenge for me is to create a macro that:-
1. Opens the template - done that
2. GetFileName for data source - not sure about that. Assume I add a
command button but don't know the code
3. Merge the data - I can plagiarise that from previous macro
4. Print labels - ditto, as above
I used to be a programmer some 15 years ago but I'm a little rusty, as if
you hadn't guessed, and I've never used VB!
--
Jerry Slocombe
Still Learning

"Anne Troy" wrote:

[...]

Anne Troy

2. There's a button on the mail merge toolbar to "open data source".

And, I THINK You might be able to record these macros, Jerry.

http://www.officearticles.com/word/r...osoft_word.htm

*******************

"Anne Troy" wrote:

[...]

Jerry Slocombe

Nice try Anne....

.... but there's no Mail Merge toolbar in Word 2000.
Don't suppose you happen to know the VB code to browse for a filename so I
could use it for "ActiveDocument.MailMerge.OpenDataSource Name:=" in the
macro.
--
Jerry

"Anne Troy" wrote:

[...]

Anne Troy

No mail merge toolbar? Sure there is. Go to Tools--Mail merge. There's the
mail merge toolbar.

Jerry... may I make a suggestion?
Go to www.vbaexpress.com and join. You'll be MUCH happier there... very
good, very nice Word coders. You can even paste your code all pretty, and
upload your file.

I am no coder. I'm a glorified macro recorder. But I created that site
'cause I don't want to learn code.
I also know you'll find lots of interesting codebits he
http://www.vbaexpress.com/kb/kblist.php

If you're a member, you can search it. Membership is free and they won't
even spam you.

"Anne Troy" wrote:

[...]

Jerry Slocombe

Cheers Anne,

I'll let you go now! Thanks for your patience.
BTW there's no 'Mail Merge' tool bar with Word 2000 only a 'Mail Merge Helper'

I will act on your suggestions.
Take care.
--
Jerry