Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Barb Barb is offline

Default individual letters from mail merge

I've read thru almost every post regarding this issue, have downloaded the
add-in and run my mail merge over and over again and keep getting the same
results. I've rebooted, opened word first, etc, but...
When I get to the "Edit inidividual letters" part, select ALL, click YES to
create separate doc, select Filename Field (File As) and Browse to the folder
I want to save them in... I get 1 file... just the first one of 27, and it
shows up on 3 pages, instead of 1.
I'm running Word 2003 on XP box.
What am I missing?
Thanks, Barb
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

I suggest that you turn on the Mail Merge Toolbar by selecting Toolbars from
the View menu and then check the Mail Merge item. That toolbar has all of
the necessary buttons on it for performing the whole mail merge operation.
After you have set up the mail merge main document, then click on the button
on that toolbar for Merge to New Document and see if that makes any
difference.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"Barb" wrote in message
I've read thru almost every post regarding this issue, have downloaded the
add-in and run my mail merge over and over again and keep getting the same
results. I've rebooted, opened word first, etc, but...
When I get to the "Edit inidividual letters" part, select ALL, click YES
create separate doc, select Filename Field (File As) and Browse to the
folder
I want to save them in... I get 1 file... just the first one of 27, and it
shows up on 3 pages, instead of 1.
I'm running Word 2003 on XP box.
What am I missing?
Thanks, Barb

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Barb Barb is offline

It didn't... I tried it from the toolbar at the top, then from the toolbar on
the left side... neither worked.
The add-in seems very easy, but can't understand why this isn't working.
Thanks,
Barb

"Barb" wrote in message
I've read thru almost every post regarding this issue, have downloaded the
add-in and run my mail merge over and over again and keep getting the same
results. I've rebooted, opened word first, etc, but...
When I get to the "Edit inidividual letters" part, select ALL, click YES
create separate doc, select Filename Field (File As) and Browse to the
folder
I want to save them in... I get 1 file... just the first one of 27, and it
shows up on 3 pages, instead of 1.
I'm running Word 2003 on XP box.
What am I missing?
Thanks, Barb

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

What do you mean by the toolbar at the top and the toolbar from the left
side?

Are you sure that the data in the field that is being selected for the
filenames consists of valid characters for file names?

--

"Barb" wrote in message
I've read thru almost every post regarding this issue, have downloaded
the
add-in and run my mail merge over and over again and keep getting the
same
results. I've rebooted, opened word first, etc, but...
When I get to the "Edit inidividual letters" part, select ALL, click
YES
create separate doc, select Filename Field (File As) and Browse to the
folder
I want to save them in... I get 1 file... just the first one of 27, and
it
shows up on 3 pages, instead of 1.
I'm running Word 2003 on XP box.
What am I missing?
Thanks, Barb

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Barb Barb is offline

Toolbar at the top: View - Toolbars - Mail Merge.
Toolbar at the left: Task Pane - Mail Merge.

Yes, I've even tried using various fields, so see if maybe a character is
causing this problem, but it still isn't working.

I've done mail merges tons of times before, but for some reason this has me
stumped. It's not even creating 1 file with multiple pages... just 1 page
for the 1st name in the Outlook list that I'm using, although when I 'scroll'
thru the Mail Merged document and turn on the ABC button it shows all of
the names.

Could there be an issue with my Word?

Thanks, Barb

"Barb" wrote in message
I've read thru almost every post regarding this issue, have downloaded
the
add-in and run my mail merge over and over again and keep getting the
same
results. I've rebooted, opened word first, etc, but...
When I get to the "Edit inidividual letters" part, select ALL, click
YES
create separate doc, select Filename Field (File As) and Browse to the
folder
I want to save them in... I get 1 file... just the first one of 27, and
it
shows up on 3 pages, instead of 1.
I'm running Word 2003 on XP box.
What am I missing?
Thanks, Barb

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Barb Barb is offline

Doug, I think I figured out the problem... I was opening my original document
from the Windows Explorer instead of by opening Word and then the document.
Apparently by opening it thru Windows Explorer, something doesn't load
completely when I run the Mail Merge, although all of the steps appear
exactly as Graham's document states, it doesn't truly merge.

I hope that made sense.
Thanks so much for you help.

"Barb" wrote in message
I've read thru almost every post regarding this issue, have downloaded
the
add-in and run my mail merge over and over again and keep getting the
same
results. I've rebooted, opened word first, etc, but...
When I get to the "Edit inidividual letters" part, select ALL, click
YES
create separate doc, select Filename Field (File As) and Browse to the
folder
I want to save them in... I get 1 file... just the first one of 27, and
it
shows up on 3 pages, instead of 1.
I'm running Word 2003 on XP box.
What am I missing?
Thanks, Barb

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

Yes, it does make sense. Sometimes it appears that the autoexec routine in
the Addin does not get executed if Word is opened by that method or is used
as the editor in Outlook and Outlook is opened before Word.