Ralph

Default Word File Locked

Help!

I'm trying to open a Word file with Word 97. It has locked fields
that I can't edit. The fields are distorted with the text "FORM TEXT"
in them.
My wife is a teacher and this is a report card form. can anybody
give me a solution. The file was originally downloaded from the school.

Regards,
--
Ralph S
Graham Mayor

If you insert the file into another document, the protection (if any) will
be removed. You can then lock (to enable the form to be used) or unlock the
fields from the forms toolbar. The display is a toggle (ALT+F9) between
content and field construction.

Ralph wrote:
Help!

I'm trying to open a Word file with Word 97. It has locked fields
that I can't edit. The fields are distorted with the text "FORM TEXT"
in them.
My wife is a teacher and this is a report card form. can anybody
give me a solution. The file was originally downloaded from the
school.

Regards,

Ralph

Thanks Graham,

that answers part of the question. The file is unlocked, but fieldsare still
distorted.
is there an easy way to bring the form to a normal condition?

Ralph S
Newtown, PA

Ralph wrote:
Help!

I'm trying to open a Word file with Word 97. It has locked fields
that I can't edit. The fields are distorted with the text "FORM TEXT"
in them.
My wife is a teacher and this is a report card form. can anybody
give me a solution. The file was originally downloaded from the
school.

Regards,

Ralph

Graham,

All of the fields in the table have "FORM TEXT" in them.
The boxes are bigger than normal. i can edit them out individually,
but the form is pretty large.

Thanks,

Ralph

Ralph wrote:
Help!

I'm trying to open a Word file with Word 97. It has locked fields
that I can't edit. The fields are distorted with the text "FORM
TEXT" in them.
My wife is a teacher and this is a report card form. can anybody
give me a solution. The file was originally downloaded from the
school.

Regards,

Graham Mayor

FORMTEXT is the default display when the fields are unlocked and toggled -
ALT+F9 as indicated in my earlier reply should toggle them back again, as
should locking the form.

Ralph wrote:
Help!

I'm trying to open a Word file with Word 97. It has locked fields
that I can't edit. The fields are distorted with the text "FORM
TEXT" in them.
My wife is a teacher and this is a report card form. can anybody
give me a solution. The file was originally downloaded from the
school.

Regards,

You are viewing field codes instead of field results. Close the form, press
Alt+F9, and then open it again. Your problem should be solved. The document
must be protected for forms in order to be usable, but field codes can't be
toggled in a protected document, so you have to do it in the environment
before opening the document. Ignore what Graham has told you about
unprotecting the form; that is not necessary in this case.

"Ralph" wrote in message
Help!

I'm trying to open a Word file with Word 97. It has locked fields
that I can't edit. The fields are distorted with the text "FORM TEXT"
in them.
My wife is a teacher and this is a report card form. can anybody
give me a solution. The file was originally downloaded from the school.

Regards,
--
Ralph S

Graham Mayor

While you are probably correct that it is not necessary to unprotect the
form in this instance, it is certainly possible to have the fields toggled
in a protected document. I have taken the liberty of attaching a small
screenshot to demonstrate the point

"Ralph" wrote in message
Help!

I'm trying to open a Word file with Word 97. It has locked fields
that I can't edit. The fields are distorted with the text "FORM
TEXT" in them.
My wife is a teacher and this is a report card form. can anybody
give me a solution. The file was originally downloaded from the
school.

Regards,
--
Ralph S

Attached Images

Ralph

Folks,

Thanks for the help. All my wifes report card files work the way they should
now.

HAPPY NEW YEAR,

Ralph Stenerson

"Ralph" wrote in message
Help!

I'm trying to open a Word file with Word 97. It has locked fields
that I can't edit. The fields are distorted with the text "FORM
TEXT" in them.
My wife is a teacher and this is a report card form. can anybody
give me a solution. The file was originally downloaded from the
school.

Regards,
--
Ralph S

What I mean by "field codes can't be toggled in a protected document" is
that Alt+F9 does not work in a protected document. You have to either
unprotect the document or toggle the field display before entering it. Since
you need the document protected in order to use it (and sometimes you
*can't* unprotect it without a password), it makes more sense to back out,
toggle the display, and then reopen the document.

"Ralph" wrote in message
Help!

I'm trying to open a Word file with Word 97. It has locked fields
that I can't edit. The fields are distorted with the text "FORM
TEXT" in them.
My wife is a teacher and this is a report card form. can anybody
give me a solution. The file was originally downloaded from the
school.

Regards,
--
Ralph S

Lisa

I was having a similar issue. Creating a Form in Word2000 and locking the
form fields..But when I go back in to make changes, it will not let me unlock
the fields..I have to go thru the entire process of putting in another
document and starting over. Any suggestions?

"Ralph" wrote in message
Help!

I'm trying to open a Word file with Word 97. It has locked fields
that I can't edit. The fields are distorted with the text "FORM
TEXT" in them.
My wife is a teacher and this is a report card form. can anybody
give me a solution. The file was originally downloaded from the
school.

Regards,
--
Ralph S

That's an entirely different issue. If Tools | Unprotect Document is not
available, it could be because you included ActiveX controls. See "Can't
Unprotect Protected Form That Contains a Control Toolbox Control" at
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=275975

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

What I mean by "field codes can't be toggled in a protected document"

is
that Alt+F9 does not work in a protected document. You have to either
unprotect the document or toggle the field display before entering it.

Since
you need the document protected in order to use it (and sometimes you
*can't* unprotect it without a password), it makes more sense to back

out,
toggle the display, and then reopen the document.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"Ralph" wrote in message
Help!

I'm trying to open a Word file with Word 97. It has locked fields
that I can't edit. The fields are distorted with the text "FORM
TEXT" in them.
My wife is a teacher and this is a report card form. can anybody
give me a solution. The file was originally downloaded from the
school.

Regards,
--
Ralph S

jojo

THANK YOU VERY MUCH
I really apreciate it. You saved me hours of work

"Ralph" wrote in message
Help!

I'm trying to open a Word file with Word 97. It has locked fields
that I can't edit. The fields are distorted with the text "FORM
TEXT" in them.
My wife is a teacher and this is a report card form. can anybody
give me a solution. The file was originally downloaded from the
school.

Regards,
--
Ralph S

How can I divide a page into three sections? Bonnie Microsoft Word Help 3 May 8th 23 02:47 AM
macro in word js Microsoft Word Help 1 December 28th 04 03:01 AM
MS Word 2003 - Default File Save name? Eric G Microsoft Word Help 3 December 22nd 04 03:29 PM
saving the workspace Mike Microsoft Word Help 3 December 8th 04 11:32 PM