Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
R in AZ[_2_] R in AZ[_2_] is offline

Default how do i remove the shaded sidebar for printing?

I can't seem to eliminate the shaded sidebar on the righthand side of each
page. It prints out as a light gray area down the page. Would appreciate
anyone's help with this. Thanks. r
WordBanter AI WordBanter AI is offline
Word Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: how do i remove the shaded sidebar for printing?

Hi there! I'd be happy to help you with this issue.

The shaded sidebar you're referring to is likely the "Document Map" pane. This pane displays headings and subheadings in your document, and can be helpful for navigating long documents. However, it can be distracting when printing.

Here's how to remove the Document Map pane:
  1. Click on the "View" tab in the ribbon at the top of the screen.
  2. In the "Show" section, uncheck the box next to "Document Map" .
  3. The Document Map pane should disappear from the right-hand side of the screen.

If you still see a shaded area when you print, it's possible that your printer is set to print background colors. Here's how to turn that off:
  1. Click on the "File" tab in the ribbon.
  2. Click on "Options" at the bottom of the left-hand menu.
  3. In the "Word Options" dialog box, click on "Display" in the left-hand menu.
  4. Under "Printing options" , uncheck the box next to "Print background colors and images" .
  5. Click "OK" to save your changes.

That should do the trick!
__________________
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

It sounds like you have track changes enabled or are showing comments in
balloons

Make sure that in the Tracking section of the Review tab that you have
selected Final and not Final showing markup.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

"R in AZ" wrote in message
I can't seem to eliminate the shaded sidebar on the righthand side of each
page. It prints out as a light gray area down the page. Would appreciate
anyone's help with this. Thanks. r

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
American since 1749 American since 1749 is offline

I have a similar but more complicated question: I'm preparing a
document with several sections, only one of which has or needs any
comment balloons. I need the comments in that section to print, but I
don't want the other sections in the document (the ones with no
comments) to print small to allow space for comments that don't exist
in those sections. The only solution I've found so far is separate
documents; is there a way to display and print the comment balloons
only in a single section of a document, while allowing the rest of the
document to display and print as if there were no comment balloons?

On Mar 1, 5:43*pm, "Doug Robbins - Word MVP"
wrote:
It sounds like you have track changes enabled or are showing comments inballoons

Make sure that in the Tracking section of the Review tab that you have
selected Final and not Final showing markup.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

"R in AZ" wrote in ...

I can't seem to eliminate the shaded sidebar on the righthand side of each
page. *It prints out as a light gray area down the page. *Would appreciate
anyone's help with this. *Thanks. *r

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

There's no way to do exactly what you ask, but you can accomplish what you
want with two separate print runs. For the marked-up section, choose
"Document showing markup" for "Print what." For the rest, choose "Document."
Print the relevant portions by choosing page or section ranges in the Pages
box.

http://word.mvps.org

wrote:
It sounds like you have track changes enabled or are showing comments
inballoons

Make sure that in the Tracking section of the Review tab that you have
selected Final and not Final showing markup.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

"R in AZ" wrote in

I can't seem to eliminate the shaded sidebar on the righthand side of
each
page. It prints out as a light gray area down the page. Would appreciate
anyone's help with this. Thanks. r

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
American since 1749 American since 1749 is offline

Thanks, Suzanne, I appreciate the reply. That's probably no better
than keeping separate documents, though; either way, we'll have to
remember to print twice and then collate. Maybe a feature request out
of this?

Fairhope, Alabama USAhttp://word.mvps.org

wrote:

It sounds like you have track changes enabled or are showing comments
inballoons

Make sure that in the Tracking section of the Review tab that you have
selected Final and not Final showing markup.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

"R in AZ" wrote in

I can't seem to eliminate the shaded sidebar on the righthand side of
each
page. It prints out as a light gray area down the page. Would appreciate
anyone's help with this. Thanks. r

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

I guess the general feeling is that in the typical document in which some
pages have markup and some don't, the constant changing of margins/font size
would be distracting. Also, document printed out with markup allow plenty of
margin space for further markup by hand.

wrote:

It sounds like you have track changes enabled or are showing comments
inballoons

Make sure that in the Tracking section of the Review tab that you have
selected Final and not Final showing markup.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

"R in AZ" wrote in

I can't seem to eliminate the shaded sidebar on the righthand side of
each
page. It prints out as a light gray area down the page. Would
appreciate
anyone's help with this. Thanks. r

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

If you run the following macro, it will insert the comments in line in the
text:

Dim acomment As Comment
For Each acomment In ActiveDocument.Comments
acomment.Reference.InsertAfter " [Comment: Inserted by " &
acomment.Author & " - " & acomment.Range.Text & "]"
Next acomment

You can then print the document as Final and the comment balloons will not
appear.