Tim Wallin

Default insert a future date

Folks - I'm out of ideas regarding how to insert a calculated future date.
I've tried:
1. using date fields in a formula (nested fields); all I can get using this
approach is an incremented year, despite use of date format switches.
2. using a reference to a bookmarked current date and incrementing it.

Perhaps giving up caffeine is taking its toll; it seems this would be a
fairly common task? Has anyone done this?

Thanx, Tim

Jezebel

This is a sad gap in Word's field functionality. The only real solution is
to write a macro to do it. VBA has DateAdd() and DateDiff() functions for
date calculations. It is theoretically possible using fields (hunt around
for posts from a creature called Macropod) -- entertaining if you enjoy
Julian number calculations, but not reliable for serious use.

"Tim Wallin" wrote in message
Folks - I'm out of ideas regarding how to insert a calculated future date.
I've tried:
1. using date fields in a formula (nested fields); all I can get using

this
approach is an incremented year, despite use of date format switches.
2. using a reference to a bookmarked current date and incrementing it.

Perhaps giving up caffeine is taking its toll; it seems this would be a
fairly common task? Has anyone done this?

Thanx, Tim

Tim Wallin

Thanks! I write macros frequently but had not used those functions.

macropod

"not reliable for serious use"

Really? I'm sure this would be a revelation to every astronomer on planet
earth.

Maybe you've got julian day number calculations confused with the Julian
calendar or so-called julian dates that combine year number and year-day
numbers into a string. Perhaps you should check out:
http://www.tondering.dk/claus/cal/calendar26.html
and find out how this stuff *really* works.

"Tim Wallin" wrote in message
Folks - I'm out of ideas regarding how to insert a calculated future

date.
I've tried:
1. using date fields in a formula (nested fields); all I can get using

this
approach is an incremented year, despite use of date format switches.
2. using a reference to a bookmarked current date and incrementing it.

Perhaps giving up caffeine is taking its toll; it seems this would be a
fairly common task? Has anyone done this?

Thanx, Tim

---

Jezebel

Nothing wrong with Julian number calculations as such, Macro. Problem is,
your sort of field coding represents a kind of back-door programming, that
CANNOT deliver reliable results. Research it. The problems are
well-documented.

Cheers

"Tim Wallin" wrote in message
Folks - I'm out of ideas regarding how to insert a calculated future

date.
I've tried:
1. using date fields in a formula (nested fields); all I can get

using
this
approach is an incremented year, despite use of date format switches.
2. using a reference to a bookmarked current date and incrementing

it.

Perhaps giving up caffeine is taking its toll; it seems this would be

fairly common task? Has anyone done this?

Thanx, Tim

---

macropod

Seems to me you're changing your story Jezebel.

Previously (in another thread), you claimed julian number calculations per
se are unreliable, which is completely untrue. You started of in this thread
with the same theme. Now you say my "field coding represents a kind of
back-door programming, that CANNOT deliver reliable results". Equally untrue
and amply demonstrated to be so by my implementation.

Don't confuse steep learning curves with unreliability. The mere fact that
you can't do it doesn't mean it can't be done...

"Tim Wallin" wrote in message
Folks - I'm out of ideas regarding how to insert a calculated future

date.
I've tried:
1. using date fields in a formula (nested fields); all I can get

using
this
approach is an incremented year, despite use of date format

switches.
2. using a reference to a bookmarked current date and incrementing

it.

Perhaps giving up caffeine is taking its toll; it seems this would

be
fairly common task? Has anyone done this?

Thanx, Tim

---

---

Greg Maxey

Gentlemen, Gentlemen play nice :-)

--
Greg Maxey/Word MVP
A Peer in Peer to Peer Support

"Tim Wallin" wrote in message
Folks - I'm out of ideas regarding how to insert a calculated
future date. I've tried:
1. using date fields in a formula (nested fields); all I can get
using this approach is an incremented year, despite use of date
format

switches.
2. using a reference to a bookmarked current date and
incrementing it.

Perhaps giving up caffeine is taking its toll; it seems this
would be a fairly common task? Has anyone done this?

Thanx, Tim

---

---

macropod

Hi Greg,

Just getting a bit fed up with this Jezebel character spouting off about
the supposed unreliability of something he/she obviously doesn't understand.
My work in this area has been good enough for O'Reilly Media Inc to publish
in their recent "Word Hacks" (see Chapter 8, Forms and Fields) - I wonder
what Jezebel's had published.

Cheers

"Greg Maxey" gro.spvm@yexamg (thats my e-mail address backwards) wrote in
message ...

"Tim Wallin" wrote in message
Folks - I'm out of ideas regarding how to insert a calculated
future date. I've tried:
1. using date fields in a formula (nested fields); all I can get
using this approach is an incremented year, despite use of date
format

switches.
2. using a reference to a bookmarked current date and
incrementing it.

Perhaps giving up caffeine is taking its toll; it seems this
would be a fairly common task? Has anyone done this?

Thanx, Tim

---

---

---

Greg Maxey

I have decided to take this one offline. Reply sent to your e-mail address
provided here. If it is bogus, and you want to receive you have mine.

Congratulations on the published work. Do you have a link?

--

"Tim Wallin" wrote in message
Folks - I'm out of ideas regarding how to insert a calculated
future date. I've tried:
1. using date fields in a formula (nested fields); all I can
get using this approach is an incremented year, despite use of
date format
switches.
2. using a reference to a bookmarked current date and
incrementing it.

Perhaps giving up caffeine is taking its toll; it seems this
would be a fairly common task? Has anyone done this?

Thanx, Tim

---

---

---

Jezebel

Your offensiveness and asinine debating tricks don't trouble me in the
least. It's a pity you don't put your ingenuity to some useful purpose. Your
'field hacks' are very clever, but to suggest that they are a useful way to
set up Word documents on which people can rely is disingenuous to say the
least. Your 'implementation' doesn't demonstrate anything except the fact
that you obviously haven't tested it very thoroughly. (If you had, one would
expect a little humility from you ... )