Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
malhyp malhyp is offline

Default "How to use mail merge to create a list sorted by category in Word"

Hi there I have a database which I am mail merging from and then emailing the

results. The problem I have is that each client listed in the database has 5
results. An example of the end result in the database would be something like

this.

idResult idCategory idSupplier idProduct idEmail
1 Flowers Flower Shop Red Flowers
2 Trees Flower Shop Blue Trees

3 Flowers Flower Shop Pink Flowers

4 Shrubs Flower Shop Pink Shrubs

5 Shrubs Flower Shop Blue Shrubs

When I create the mail merge it creates a seperate email for each result, so
if I have 10 customers it creates 50 emails.

I beleive that the Microsoft Help file called "How to use mail merge to
create a list sorted by category in Word" is the way for me to go, but I dont

understand the whole process.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/211303/

a) To test the idea I created a database called db1.mdb in Access and then
named the following.

Primary Key: id
Field City
Field Employee
Filed Sales
Field Category

I then started up word to create a letter, started mail merge, then looked
up the database when asked for. Then I pasted the following into the Word
document.

{ IF { MERGESEQ } = "1" "{ MERGEFIELD CITY }¶
" "" }{ SET Place1 { MERGEFIELD CITY }}¶
{ If { Place2 } { Place1 }"¶
{ MERGEFIELD CITY }¶
¶
{ MERGEFIELD EMPLOYEE } { MERGEFIELD SALES }" "{ MERGEFIELD EMPLOYEE } {
MERGEFIELD SALES }" }{ SET Place2 { MERGEFIELD CITY }}¶

Then clicked NEXt to view the document and of course nothing happens.

Can someone give me some pointers on what I need to do to get this happening.

Have been trying to sort this mail merge issue for months now.

TA
Mally

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Read the answer to the same question you posted less than an hour ago - and
have some patience. It can take several hours to get a response.