Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Stephen Green

Default Multiple conditions in merge

I can't for the life of me figure out how to insert a field base on multiple
conditions. What I'd like to do, for instance, is something like this:

If Amount = 50 And Amount =100 Then "The amount is between 50 and 100"

Can anyone help?

Stephen

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Doug Robbins - Word MVP

{ IF { MERGEFIELD Amount } = 50 { IF { MERGEFIELD Amount } = 100 "The
amount is between 50 and 100." "" } "" }

You must use Ctrl+F9 to insert each pair of field delimiters and make sure
that you have a space either side of the operator =. You use Alt+F9 to
toggle off the display of the field codes.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"Stephen Green" wrote in message
I can't for the life of me figure out how to insert a field base on
multiple conditions. What I'd like to do, for instance, is something like
this:

If Amount = 50 And Amount =100 Then "The amount is between 50 and 100"

Can anyone help?

Stephen

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Graham Mayor

Oops - a typo - that should read
{ IF { Mergefield Amount } = 50 "{ IF { Mergefield Amount } = 100 "The
amount is between 50 and 100" "" }" "" }
Spaces are important!

Stephen Green wrote:
I can't for the life of me figure out how to insert a field base on
multiple conditions. What I'd like to do, for instance, is something
like this:
If Amount = 50 And Amount =100 Then "The amount is between 50 and
100"
Can anyone help?

Stephen

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Stephen Green

Thanks, Guys!

I see one difference between your suggestions. There is a double quote
before the second { IF in Graham's suggestion (below) which is missing in
Doug's.

Is this important?

Stephen

Oops - a typo - that should read

Stephen Green wrote:
I can't for the life of me figure out how to insert a field base on
multiple conditions. What I'd like to do, for instance, is something
like this:
If Amount = 50 And Amount =100 Then "The amount is between 50 and
100"
Can anyone help?

Stephen

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Stephen Green

I"ve tried Doug's code and it works. I don't know if the extra quote would
enhance or detract form the efficacy (I haven't tried).

While we're on the subject, does each Merge Condition have to be typed or
can I cut and paste, the edit them.

So far I have had trouble ceeping track of the Conditions as they have a
tendency to disappear from view...

Stephen

Stephen Green wrote:
I can't for the life of me figure out how to insert a field base on
multiple conditions. What I'd like to do, for instance, is something
like this:
If Amount = 50 And Amount =100 Then "The amount is between 50 and
100"
Can anyone help?

Stephen

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Doug Robbins - Word MVP

As far as I know, the double quotes are only required around a string that
includes spaces, such as

"The amount is between 50 and 100."

but their use around the individual parts (true part, false part) of the
result will not cause a problem.

Such field constructions can be copied and pasted. The important thing is
that the field delimiters {} must be inserted by the use of Ctrl+F9. The
similar looking characters inserted by the use of the keys on the keyboard
will not work. If the field codes disappear, use Alt+F9 to toggle on their
display.

--

Stephen Green wrote:
I can't for the life of me figure out how to insert a field base on
multiple conditions. What I'd like to do, for instance, is something
like this:
If Amount = 50 And Amount =100 Then "The amount is between 50 and
100"
Can anyone help?

Stephen

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Graham Mayor

As Doug says, quotes are not *required* around fields, but they are good
practice as they make the construction easier to understand.

Stephen Green wrote:
I can't for the life of me figure out how to insert a field base
on multiple conditions. What I'd like to do, for instance, is
something like this:
If Amount = 50 And Amount =100 Then "The amount is between 50
and 100"
Can anyone help?

Stephen

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Stephen Green

Thanks Doug!

The Alt-F9 key did the trick. Now if I only understood the code you gave
me!!!

Thanks again to you and Graham!

Stephen

Stephen Green wrote:
I can't for the life of me figure out how to insert a field base on
multiple conditions. What I'd like to do, for instance, is something
like this:
If Amount = 50 And Amount =100 Then "The amount is between 50 and
100"
Can anyone help?

Stephen

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
macropod

An alternative field construction is:
{IF{=({MERGEFIELD Amount}50)+({MERGEFIELD Amount}100)}= 0 "The amount is
between 50 and 100"}

Cheers
PS: The output text really should have ", inclusive" at the end.

"Stephen Green" wrote in message
I can't for the life of me figure out how to insert a field base on

multiple
conditions. What I'd like to do, for instance, is something like this:

If Amount = 50 And Amount =100 Then "The amount is between 50 and 100"

Can anyone help?

Stephen

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Stephen Green

macropod!

Exactly what does this code mean? It the field is less than 50 and the
field is greater that 100 = 0???

Also, what does your PS mean? (The output text really should have ",
inclusive" at the end.)

Thanks

Stephen
"macropod" wrote in message
An alternative field construction is:
{IF{=({MERGEFIELD Amount}50)+({MERGEFIELD Amount}100)}= 0 "The amount is
between 50 and 100"}

Cheers
PS: The output text really should have ", inclusive" at the end.

"Stephen Green" wrote in message
I can't for the life of me figure out how to insert a field base on

multiple
conditions. What I'd like to do, for instance, is something like this:

If Amount = 50 And Amount =100 Then "The amount is between 50 and 100"

Can anyone help?

Stephen

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Doug Robbins - Word MVP

Both ({ MERGEFIELD Amount } 50) and ({ MERGEFIELD Amount } 100)
evaluate to 0 if the number = 50 on = 100

If the number is outside of that range, one of them will equate to 1 and
thus the sum of the two will not be 0.

Macropod has made it a little harder for you to understand by only including
the true result. There could have been a space and a pair of double quotes
after "The number is between 50 and 100" but as there was nothing to be
displayed, it can be omitted. If you had wanted the construction to return
"The number is not between 50 and 100" if it wasn't in that range, then you
would have

{ IF { = ({ MERGEFIELD Amount } 50) + ({ MERGEFIELD Amount } 100) } = 0
"The Number is between 50 and 100" "The number is not between 50 and 100" }

Re the PS, your condition would be true for values of 50 and 100. In
mathematical terms, the only numbers (whole numbers that is) that are
BETWEEN 50 and 100 are the numbers 51 to 99.

--

"macropod" wrote in message
An alternative field construction is:
{IF{=({MERGEFIELD Amount}50)+({MERGEFIELD Amount}100)}= 0 "The amount
is
between 50 and 100"}

Cheers
PS: The output text really should have ", inclusive" at the end.

"Stephen Green" wrote in message
I can't for the life of me figure out how to insert a field base on

multiple
conditions. What I'd like to do, for instance, is something like this:

If Amount = 50 And Amount =100 Then "The amount is between 50 and 100"

Can anyone help?

Stephen

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Stephen Green

Thanks for the explanation. I'm beginning to understand.

It would be easier, of course, if the merge code were the same as SQL...

Stephen

Both ({ MERGEFIELD Amount } 50) and ({ MERGEFIELD Amount } 100)
evaluate to 0 if the number = 50 on = 100

If the number is outside of that range, one of them will equate to 1 and
thus the sum of the two will not be 0.

Macropod has made it a little harder for you to understand by only
including the true result. There could have been a space and a pair of
double quotes after "The number is between 50 and 100" but as there was
nothing to be displayed, it can be omitted. If you had wanted the
construction to return "The number is not between 50 and 100" if it wasn't
in that range, then you would have

{ IF { = ({ MERGEFIELD Amount } 50) + ({ MERGEFIELD Amount } 100) } =
0 "The Number is between 50 and 100" "The number is not between 50 and