LacieMoon

Default Hyperlinks won't keep their addresses straight

I am using hyperlinks to take a reader to other documents [all formats, Word,
PDF, Excel etc.] I am saving ALL documents on a 1 gb thumb drive. I am using
relative linking -- the main document is at the root, and I have several
folders that contain the other documents I link to [ch 1 folder, ch 2 folder
etc.] If I move to a different workstation with the drive, most [not all] my
hyperlinks default to the C:\ drive, something like: C:\documents and
settings\default user\My Documents\Chapter 1... The only thing correct in the
path is the last reference -- to the chapter folder where the documents are
stored. I will have hundreds of links by the time I'm finished and this is
nuts having to 'update' them everytime I use a different computer. I've
looked into setting the Base URL under FilePropertiesSummary, but I don't
see how this would work since I am linking to multiple folders. Ultimately, I
will be burning the root document and all linked documents to CD, and I want
the links to WORK. Any thoughts, suggestions, revelations would be
appreciated. Thank you! LacieMoon
Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi ?B?TGFjaWVNb29u?=,

It always helps to mention WHICH version of Word is involved in a problem. For
starters, though, check the setting for "update links on save" in
Tools/OPtions/General/Web options. If it's not off, this could be what's causing
the problem.

[...]

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

LacieMoon

Cindy,
Thank you for your response, and yes, it is helpful to tell you the version
of Word used. I apologize: I'm using Word XP -- I have checked the option you
spoke of and it was indeed selected. But, perhaps I am confused on what I've
read in the help topics, I am confused as to the function of this option. It
says it updates links for the web page -- I'm not creating a web page but
maybe that doesn't matter? I will give your suggestion a try and see if the
document manages to keep its relative linking.
Thanks for your help,

"Cindy M -WordMVP-" wrote:

[...]

Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi ?B?TGFjaWVNb29u?=,

But, perhaps I am confused on what I've
read in the help topics, I am confused as to the function of this option. It
says it updates links for the web page -- I'm not creating a web page but
maybe that doesn't matter?

Yes, that's what is says. But since Word 2002 it works in regular documents, as
well.