Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Eleni_Malli

Default How to link a different Mailmerge header source and data source?

The previous version of Word allowed me to link my mailmerge documents to an
data source created in Excel and a simplified header source in Word.

How does this version do this? I would like to update some of my existing
files created and cannot find the option to change this function to modify
the link to the header source?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Peter Jamieson

You can get either the old "MailMergeHelper" or just the Header file related
commands back by selecting them in Tools|Customize|Commands|category All
Commands and dragging them to a suitable toolbar.

However, you may find that Header sources do not work quite the same as they
do in previous versions of Word - e.g., you may not be able to attach /just/
a header source and then use the built-in drop-downs to insert merge fields,
and you may not be able to use a Header when you use Access/Excel data
unless you modify the connection method to the old default, DDE (check Word
Tools|Options|General|Confirm conversions at open, then reconnect tot he
data source and select the DDE option when offered.)

Peter Jamieson