Drew Danielson

Default Printing upside-down?

Want to find out if there's a setting somewhere in the page set-up, or
another menu item that would cause a document to print upside-down, relative
to 'normal' printer behavior.

Just had a case where we sent a doc - that was created by someone not
ourselves - to our printer, and it printed upside-down on pre-printed
letterhead. This problem was compounded when we discovered that other docs
printed from Word also came out upside-down (Word had not been exited and
re-started when this second doc was printed).

Hoping this is a quick-and-easy answer that I just haven't been able to find
myself by drilling down in the menu bar items.
Drew Danielson

"Jezebel" wrote:

Word has no way to do this. Are you sure the paper wasn't put into the
printer the wrong way round? Or the printer itself might have a setting for
it -- check the printer driver options.

I know it's not the paper, and I'm fairly certain that it's not the print
driver (there was nothing set differently than normal in the print driver
when the upside-downness occurred).

The issue hasn't come up with any docs generated in this office, but has
only manifested while/after printing a doc that was sent from outside our
office. Which is what led me to believe that it's a Word setting.

Any other suggestions?

garfield-n-odie

What Jezebel says is correct... you can't MAKE Word do this, but IF the
document only contains images (no text) and IF you're using Word 2002 or
2003 and IF the document was created with an earlier version of Word,
then the following article might explain the problem:
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=312838 "Pictures in documents that
were created in an earlier version of Office appear flipped in Office XP
and Office 2003".

Drew Danielson wrote:

Want to find out if there's a setting somewhere in the page set-up, or
another menu item that would cause a document to print upside-down, relative
to 'normal' printer behavior.

Just had a case where we sent a doc - that was created by someone not
ourselves - to our printer, and it printed upside-down on pre-printed
letterhead. This problem was compounded when we discovered that other docs
printed from Word also came out upside-down (Word had not been exited and
re-started when this second doc was printed).

Hoping this is a quick-and-easy answer that I just haven't been able to find
myself by drilling down in the menu bar items.

Drew Danielson

Well, hm. The doc may have been created in an older version of Word, but
it's definitely not an image-only doc (it's text-only, actually). And I
don't see where it's the driver.

The problem I'm having is a) I didn't experience the problem, I'm trying to
troubleshoot for someone else, and b) I work with a group who seems to have a
deep fear of all technology that somehow is coupled with an amazing ability
to come up with problems I would never expect to run into (not to mention
their difficulty attaching files to email and other simple tasks).

Anyway, thanks for the input. I'll tell them it's a gremlin in the printer,
and ask them to send me any docs that they have this problem with in the
future so that I can print them myself.

Love working for non-profits! Must. get. back. to. university.

Drew Danielson wrote:

Want to find out if there's a setting somewhere in the page set-up, or
another menu item that would cause a document to print upside-down, relative
to 'normal' printer behavior.

Just had a case where we sent a doc - that was created by someone not
ourselves - to our printer, and it printed upside-down on pre-printed
letterhead. This problem was compounded when we discovered that other docs
printed from Word also came out upside-down (Word had not been exited and
re-started when this second doc was printed).

Hoping this is a quick-and-easy answer that I just haven't been able to find
myself by drilling down in the menu bar items.

Chuck Davis

Is your printer an external commercial print shop? If not, try a test case
of printing one page on your letter head. If upside down, turn the paper
around (end to end) and try again.