DavidOfMA

Default How do I prevent Word 2000 from trying to re-install itself whene.

I have both Word 97 and Word 2000 on my system. I'd prefer to use Word 97 for
most documents, as it's faster and some of my macros won't work with Word
2000 because of the lack of child windows in Word 2000. Occasionally I want
to use Word 2000. Whenever I start Word 2000, it requests the Office 2000
disk and runs the installer. This occurs even if I run a shortcut directly to
the Winword.exe file. Apparently, running Word 97 resets some registry key
such that Word 2000 "thinks" it's corrupted. Is there any way to occasionally
run Word 2000 but mostly use Word 97 as the default Microsoft Word app for
..DOC, .DOT, and .RTF files?

Thanks, and hope this is clear.

- David
Dian D. Chapman, MVP

This is just a fact of life when you have multiple versions on your
system. I run several here and it's always a wait time as the new
version resets on opening after using another version.

However, although I don't have 97 on this system any longer, I don't
remember it asking for a disk when I switch??? You might try
reinstalling 97 once to see if that helps. You will still get the
delay between version...but you shouldn't have to insert a CD each
time.

Good luck...

Dian D. Chapman, Technical Consultant
Microsoft MVP, MOS Certified
Editor/TechTrax Ezine

Free MS Tutorials: http://www.mousetrax.com/techtrax
Free Word eBook: http://www.mousetrax.com/books.html
Optimize your business docs: http://www.mousetrax.com/consulting
Learn VBA the easy way: http://www.mousetrax.com/techcourses.html

On Mon, 21 Feb 2005 13:05:02 -0800, DavidOfMA
wrote:

I have both Word 97 and Word 2000 on my system. I'd prefer to use Word 97 for
most documents, as it's faster and some of my macros won't work with Word
2000 because of the lack of child windows in Word 2000. Occasionally I want
to use Word 2000. Whenever I start Word 2000, it requests the Office 2000
disk and runs the installer. This occurs even if I run a shortcut directly to
the Winword.exe file. Apparently, running Word 97 resets some registry key
such that Word 2000 "thinks" it's corrupted. Is there any way to occasionally
run Word 2000 but mostly use Word 97 as the default Microsoft Word app for
.DOC, .DOT, and .RTF files?

Thanks, and hope this is clear.

- David

DavidOfMA

It's not Word 97 that asks for the CD each time, it's Word 2000. I installed
it, installed all the updates, and then also did a Repair, but the problem
still exists. I have .DOC files open in Word 97 by default, but Word 97
apparently also resets the Open, New, Print, and PrintTo registry keys to
point to itself, then when I run Word 2000 it runs the installer, which then
asks for the CD. I'm wondering if there's a way to remove the installer or
put some kind of stub program in its place so the Word 2000 will open without
undoing my Registry changes. Do you know what program is being run when Word
2000 starts the installer?

Thanks,
David

wrote:

I have both Word 97 and Word 2000 on my system. I'd prefer to use Word 97 for
most documents, as it's faster and some of my macros won't work with Word
2000 because of the lack of child windows in Word 2000. Occasionally I want
to use Word 2000. Whenever I start Word 2000, it requests the Office 2000
disk and runs the installer. This occurs even if I run a shortcut directly to
the Winword.exe file. Apparently, running Word 97 resets some registry key
such that Word 2000 "thinks" it's corrupted. Is there any way to occasionally
run Word 2000 but mostly use Word 97 as the default Microsoft Word app for
.DOC, .DOT, and .RTF files?

Thanks, and hope this is clear.

- David

DavidOfMA

I found a reasonable workaround.

I moved the file DATA1.MSI from the CD to the Office 2000 folder and browsed
to it when Word 2000 wanted the Office 2000 CD. Word goes through it's
installation silliness and then starts. This occurs every time I run Word
2000 after running Word 97, but it's nowhere near the hassle of having to
insert the CD when I want to run Word 2000.

Thanks for your help,
David
Dian D. Chapman, MVP

Wow...nice investigation work! smile

Glad you were able to get it working cos' I rarely fire up the 97
system anymore, so checking it out would have been difficult.

Congrats.

Dian D. Chapman, Technical Consultant
Microsoft MVP, MOS Certified
Editor/TechTrax Ezine