Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
R.S.Lynn

Default Can Word create documents in the Korean Hangul Alphabet? How?

I posted this in another forum, and got no hits yet.

It was suggested to me, by a nonexpert, that I should be able to type in the
Hangul (Korean) alphabet by:
Tools/Language/set language/Korean

Well, that is not how it works, of course. We tried it, and had no idea of
what this feature is supposed to do.

I know how to use the alt-zero keys to get extended ASCII. Such as ¥, Ø, æ,
etc.

Is there a way, in Word, to get nonRoman alphabet fonts? If there is, it
must use something like the alt-zero method and a mapping of the Hangul
alphabetic letters to the QWERTY keyboard in some manner. Or maybe there is
no such functionality whatsoever.

What I want to do is type the Hangul transliteration of nonKorean words.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

If you just want to insert a few Hangul characters, then select a font that
contains them (such as Arial Unicode MS) and insert the characters from the
Symbol dialog or (in Word 2002/2003) by typing the character number and
pressing Alt+X. If you want to install the Korean IME, you will find
detailed instructions at
http://www.declan-software.com/korea...korean_ime.htm

"R.S.Lynn" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
R.S.Lynn

I found the Declan site helpful in that I was able to install the Korean
IME. However, because I lack knowledge of how I might find a "cheat sheet"
mentioned in MS KB article 130053, and do not know how the components of the
glyphs are built up, I thought that I would give the Unicode a try. I tried
going through the procedure found in MS KB Q287247, to enable this
functionality. But I cannot find my Office 2003 installation disks. I can
find my Office 2000 disks, but the process described in the latter KB (
control panel, . . . ,Office shared features, International Support,
Universal font,...) won't let me use the 2000 disks that I can find. This
is frustrating to me, because the arialuni.ttf file is likely to be to be
the same for both Office releases.

My problem is now beyond the scope of my original post. But perhaps you
know of a way around my inability to find my Office 2003 installation disks.
If you do, I would be grateful to learn more.
"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
If you just want to insert a few Hangul characters, then select a font
that
contains them (such as Arial Unicode MS) and insert the characters from
the
Symbol dialog or (in Word 2002/2003) by typing the character number and
pressing Alt+X. If you want to install the Korean IME, you will find
detailed instructions at
http://www.declan-software.com/korea...korean_ime.htm

so
all may benefit.

"R.S.Lynn" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

You should be able to install the font from the Office 2000 disks, but not
by using Setup. The fonts will most likely be in a .cab file. Use Windows
Explorer to examine the CD and find the likely file. If you have Windows XP,
I believe it can open .cab files natively. In earlier versions of Windows,
you will need WinZip or a similar extractor. Once you've extracted the files
in the .cab file, you can just copy arialuni.ttf to the Windows Fonts
folder, or (if you want to do this "officially") choose Install New Font on
the File menu of the Fonts folder and browse to the location of the
arialuni.ttf file and select it.

"R.S.Lynn" wrote in message
[...]

newsgroup
so