lenny

Default uninstall Office problems

Hi,
I have recieved a laptop that has a few problems with Word and as a
consequence I am trying to uninstall word or office but the computer is not
letting me. Can someone help me with the instructions for uninstalling
manually? Here is my problem.

I have Windows XP SP2 installed and in the Add/Remove programs Works, Office
2000 and Office 2003 basic. I can only find Office 2003 under the Start/all
programs route and I am having loads of problems with Word so am trying to
delete all the Office programs. The programs will not uninstall using
Add/Remove. Office 2000 says that it needs the discs to run the uninstall
utility and I don't have them. Office 2003 asks what I want to do and then
stalls after a few moments of gathering information and I am unable to go
any further.

Hoe can I manually uninstall Office completly from my computer?

Any help greatly recieved!
Cheers
Lenny

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

Uninstalling and re-installing will hardly ever fix a problem. Exactly what
is the problem?

Most of them will be fixed by renaming the Normal.dot template to Normal.old
and then re-starting Word.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"lenny" wrote in message
[...]

lenny

I have tried deleting normal.dot and still no good. The problem is that I
have a word document that opens on every other computer that I have access
to but not this one. When I try to open it upWord stalls, the page doesn't
open properly and I am unable to use this document. It is a template. I have
also saved the template as a document and tried to open that but with the
same problems. This template has some macros in it (they need to be there)
and they may be causing the problem but I have opened it on 4 other
computers with no problems at all.

On my laptop (the problem system) the document gets put into the disabled
items section.

"lenny" wrote in message
[...]

lenny

the document template is at the moment (as well as on a USB pen) in the Word
/ Startup folder. I am unable to delete it from there. The computer just
freezes up when I try to delete it or open it. I am unable to do anything
except restart the computer to clear the screen.

"lenny" wrote in message
[...]

Carol

Lenny,

Just out of curiosity, do you by any chance have WordPerfect Help selected
under Tools and Options? And do you have the wordPefect Navigation keys
selected there as well? If you do, deselect them and see if that gives you
any help.

"lenny" wrote in message
[...]

lenny

hi Carol,
I can't find anything to do with WorkPerfect under Tools - Options. You are
talking about within Word aren't you? If you are then there is no sign in
Word 2003.

"lenny" wrote in message
[...]

Carol

Lenny,

I am assuming you're using Word 2003. That would be under Tools | Options |
General. Sorry I couldn't be of help to you!

"lenny" wrote in message
[...]

lenny

my fault carol. I am using 2003 and I have just noticed the options that you
mentioned. No they are not ticked

"Carol" wrote in message
Lenny,

I am assuming you're using Word 2003. That would be under Tools | Options

General. Sorry I couldn't be of help to you!

lenny

Thanks Suzanne, Open and Repair? Sorry for my ignorance.
I have had a look at all the options on the File - Open and the only one
that looks like that is 'recover text from any file '. That just crashes the
computer when I try to open the file. As does any other way of opening the
file or changing its name.
Is there a method of deleting the file without actually physically clicking
onto it as this just caused the program to crash.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
Have you tried using Open and Repair?

so
all may benefit.

"lenny" wrote in message
[...]

Click the down arrow beside the Open button.

"lenny" wrote in message
Thanks Suzanne, Open and Repair? Sorry for my ignorance.
I have had a look at all the options on the File - Open and the only one
that looks like that is 'recover text from any file '. That just crashes

the
computer when I try to open the file. As does any other way of opening the
file or changing its name.
Is there a method of deleting the file without actually physically

clicking
onto it as this just caused the program to crash.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
Have you tried using Open and Repair?

newsgroup
so
all may benefit.

"lenny" wrote in message
[...]

lenny

I have tried that but the only thing that happens is Word stops responding
and crashes as usual. Another interesting thing that I haven't mentioned is
that I have a copy of the file on a usb stick and I can not copy it to the
computer, either to the correct folder or even to the desktop. It works on
all other computers that I have tried it on though.

"lenny" wrote in message
[...]

Please reply to the newsgroup unless you wish to avail yourself of
my