Joe

Default How do I send document in word format, not attached?

On my old computer, I would pull up my resume, hit send and it would plkace
the document in an email. With my new computer it sends it as an attachment,
which means some folks will have trouble opening the document. How do I
disable the attachment thing?
Paul Ballou

Save in Rich Text Format and most people should be able to open without any
trouble

--
Paul Ballou
MVP Office

Control the things you can and Don't Worry about the things you can't
control.

"Joe" wrote in message
On my old computer, I would pull up my resume, hit send and it would
plkace
the document in an email. With my new computer it sends it as an
attachment,
which means some folks will have trouble opening the document. How do I
disable the attachment thing?

Graham Mayor

html e-mails are deterred by Microsoft's security measures. People
complained that the company did not take security seriously enough, but such
security does inhibit what you can do, and now they complain about that.
It's a classic Catch-22 situation

As it is possible to insert malicious code into html many organisations to
whom you are posting your resume will have their mail readers set to view
only plain text and will discard any with attachments. Unless you are
invited to supply your resume in a specific format, you are more likely to
have it seen if you send it as plain text.

Joe wrote:
On my old computer, I would pull up my resume, hit send and it would
place the document in an email. With my new computer it sends it as
an attachment, which means some folks will have trouble opening the
document. How do I disable the attachment thing?

H Dodson

In Word (2000 is what I use) have you tired opening your resume and choosing
File--Send to-- Mail Recipient
That should bring up your an email with your resume pasted in it (no
attachment).
--

Howard Dodson

"Joe" wrote:

On my old computer, I would pull up my resume, hit send and it would plkace
the document in an email. With my new computer it sends it as an attachment,
which means some folks will have trouble opening the document. How do I
disable the attachment thing?

Amedee Van Gasse

Graham Mayor shared this with us in microsoft.public.word.newusers:

html e-mails are deterred by Microsoft's security measures. People
complained that the company did not take security seriously enough,
but such security does inhibit what you can do, and now they complain
about that. It's a classic Catch-22 situation

As it is possible to insert malicious code into html many
organisations to whom you are posting your resume will have their
mail readers set to view only plain text and will discard any with
attachments. Unless you are invited to supply your resume in a
specific format, you are more likely to have it seen if you send it
as plain text.

Correct.
The solution would be to send it in Portable Document Format (PDF).
This file format is created with the explicit intent of being... uh...
portable across many systems?

--
Amedee Van Gasse using XanaNews 1.17.4.1
If it has an "X" in the name, it must be Linux?

JoAnn Paules [MSFT MVP]

For those who cannot afford Acrobat, there are several low-cost or free .pdf
creating programs. You cannot *edit* the .pdf files but what can you expect
for free? My favorite is Primo PDF, www.primopdf.com. It's a 10MB download
but well worth it, even if you are still using a dialup.

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

"Amedee Van Gasse" wrote in message
[...]

Amedee Van Gasse

JoAnn Paules [MSFT MVP] shared this with us in
microsoft.public.word.newusers:

For those who cannot afford Acrobat, there are several low-cost or
free .pdf creating programs. You cannot edit the .pdf files but what
can you expect for free? My favorite is Primo PDF, www.primopdf.com.
It's a 10MB download but well worth it, even if you are still using a
dialup.

Oh, sorry. I forgot to mention how to create pdf files. In fact, I
wasn't even thinking about Acrobat. Really, are there still people out
there that use that cumbersome Acrobat for simple pdf files?
Primo PDF is a good one, and Cute DPF is also nice. It's only 4.1 MiB.
Who bids less? ;-)

--
Amedee Van Gasse using XanaNews 1.17.4.1
If it has an "X" in the name, it must be Linux?
JoAnn Paules [MSFT MVP]

I do. I just got Acrobat Pro v7. Actually my organization got it for me to
use. We have other plans for it tho, not just creating .pdf files. The
comment and markup feature is pretty cool. :-)

[...]

Graham Mayor

Do note Acrobat 7's propensity for preventing updates to normal.dot - see
the last section of
http://www.gmayor.com/lose_that_adob...at_toolbar.htm

JoAnn Paules [MSFT MVP] wrote:
[...]

Amedee Van Gasse

JoAnn Paules [MSFT MVP] shared this with us in
microsoft.public.word.newusers:

I do. I just got Acrobat Pro v7. Actually my organization got it for
me to use. We have other plans for it tho, not just creating .pdf
files. The comment and markup feature is pretty cool. :-)

The key phrase here is "We have other plans for it tho, not just
creating .pdf files."
90% of the people "out there" don't need the extra features.

And 80% of all statistics are made up on the spot.

--
Amedee Van Gasse using XanaNews 1.17.4.1
If it has an "X" in the name, it must be Linux?

JoAnn Paules [MSFT MVP]

Your guess-timates are probably close to being accurate. I can't see paying
that much money of all you want are .pdfs though. That's why I want to learn
more - I want to take advantage of the tools I have.

Envelope Address GR New Users 5 April 24th 05 09:48 PM
Losing format upon ENTER Jeff D'Amelio Page Layout 2 March 30th 05 11:31 PM
Maintain Format when I send a MS Word document by E-mail charles Microsoft Word Help 1 March 16th 05 09:56 PM