Ed

Default Header (TOC?) field code help, pls?

I just received a report document via email, saved it to my hard drive, and
then opened it. At the headers, I see
SECTION 1. EXECUTIVE DIGEST

1.1 SUMMARY

Now **this** is frustrating, because that's NOT what I see!! But it won't
paste!! I see

{tc \l1 "EXECUTIVE DIGEST"}

and

{tc \l1 "1.1 SUMMARY"}

after the two lines above. They show with Show Invisibles on or off. The
brackets have little dotted-line boxes around them, and the field codes have
dotted underlines. Alt+F9 will NOT make them go away, but will toggle the
page number codes.

What is going on?? Can someone enlighten me?

Ed

Luc

Ed,
Is it possible they have used a TC-field which is by default hidden in Word,
that would explain the dotted line. If you toggle the non printable
characters button ¶ on your standard toolbar these entries will disappear.
These entries will show up in your toc though.
Luc

"Ed" schreef in bericht
I just received a report document via email, saved it to my hard drive, and
then opened it. At the headers, I see
SECTION 1. EXECUTIVE DIGEST

1.1 SUMMARY

Now **this** is frustrating, because that's NOT what I see!! But it won't
paste!! I see

{tc \l1 "EXECUTIVE DIGEST"}

and

{tc \l1 "1.1 SUMMARY"}

after the two lines above. They show with Show Invisibles on or off. The
brackets have little dotted-line boxes around them, and the field codes
have
dotted underlines. Alt+F9 will NOT make them go away, but will toggle the
page number codes.

What is going on?? Can someone enlighten me?

Ed

Ed

They do not disappear by toggling non-printables. They do not print,
though. Alt+F9 does change the appearance of the Table of Contents, so they
are linked there. I'd just like to collapse them while I'm viewing the
document!

Ed

"Luc" wrote in message
[...]

Luc

Ed,
That's strange they disappear here upon using ¶. The only thing I can think
off is that in Tools - options - there is a check next to hidden text box in
the section dedicated to non printable characters.
Luc
"Ed" schreef in bericht

"Luc" wrote in message
[...]

TF

F9 to toggle off view field codes.

--
Terry Farrell - Word MVP
http://word.mvps.org/

"Ed" wrote in message
:I just received a report document via email, saved it to my hard drive, and
: then opened it. At the headers, I see
: SECTION 1. EXECUTIVE DIGEST
:
:
:
: 1.1 SUMMARY
:
:
:
[...]

Luc

Terry,
That doesn't seem to work here. I am using Word 2003, maybe it will work for
Ed.
Luc
"TF" terryfarrell%40%6d%73%6e%2ecom schreef in bericht

"Ed" wrote in message
[...]

Ed

That was it!! I usually work showing all non-printables - it makes it
easier to track down the odd things that happen with tabs and proportional
font spacings when different users get a hold of my reports!! So I'm used
to the check mark by Show All. But there was an extra check by Hidden
Text - clearing that allowed ¶ to toggle off the codes. (Although Alt+F9
still doesn't - guess it's a different animal.) (BTW, I've got Word 2000.)

Thank you!!
Ed

"Luc" wrote in message
[...]

Jay Freedman

Hi Ed,

Sorry to be late to this party. :-)

You're correct: TC fields, as well as the XE fields that supply index
entries, are automatically marked with Hidden font attribute. Using the
Insert Index and TOC dialog automatically turns on the Hidden Text option
so you can see them, and changing the Show All option doesn't affect that.
For reasons known only to some twisted mind at Microsoft, they are the only
fields that don't respond to the Toggle Field Codes command/option.

This is true in all versions from Word 2000 to Word 2003, and possibly
versions before that (I don't have them loaded any more).

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

"Luc" wrote in message
[...]

Ed

Sorry to be late to this party. :-)
No problem! Grab some punch, and I'll see if we've got a hat to fit you!
8)
For reasons known only to some twisted mind at Microsoft, they are the

only
fields that don't respond to the Toggle Field Codes command/option.

Okay - as long as I didn't screw something up, I'll live. If it's Word that
is screwed up, well, I'm used to living with that!

Ed

"Luc" wrote in message
[...]

TF

Jay

Something new to learn every day! Thanks.

terry

[...]
: --
: Regards,
: Jay Freedman
: Microsoft Word MVP FAQ: http://word.mvps.org
:
: Ed wrote:
: That was it!! I usually work showing all non-printables - it makes it
: easier to track down the odd things that happen with tabs and
: reports!! So I'm used to the check mark by Show All. But there was
: an extra check by Hidden Text - clearing that allowed ¶ to toggle
: off the codes. (Although Alt+F9 still doesn't - guess it's a
: different animal.) (BTW, I've got Word 2000.)
:
: Thank you!!
: Ed
:
: "Luc" wrote in message
: ...
: Ed,
: That's strange they disappear here upon using ¶. The only thing I
: can think off is that in Tools - options - there is a check next to
: hidden text box in the section dedicated to non printable characters.
: Luc
: "Ed" schreef in bericht
: ...
: They do not disappear by toggling non-printables. They do not
: print, though. Alt+F9 does change the appearance of the Table of
: Contents, so they
: are linked there. I'd just like to collapse them while I'm viewing
: the document!
:
: Ed
: