Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
DrBardo DrBardo is offline

Default disable content copying in a pdf

Can I disable 'Content Copying' in a pdf file saved using the Microsoft pdf
word 2007 add in
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

No - and even in Acrobat which has that option, it will only stop copying
for about 10 minutes. If someone can see the document they can copy it.

DrBardo wrote:
Can I disable 'Content Copying' in a pdf file saved using the
Microsoft pdf word 2007 add in

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Don Don is offline

"Graham Mayor" wrote in
:

No - and even in Acrobat which has that option, it will only stop
copying for about 10 minutes. If someone can see the document they can
copy it.

Not necessarily so Graham.

It's dependent upon what encryption method is used (40-bit or 128-bit).
Also upon what security options are set and the number of pages (there are
some tools that will de-crpypt a 1-3 page 128-bit encrypted however these
tools choke on more pages.

BTW, the encryption additions require the full-version of Adobe and not
the free reader.
Even PDF's that have encryption set MINUS-a-password cannot be de-crypted
in the free reader.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

It doesn't depend on anything of the kind. If you can see it you can copy
it. These methods only slow the user down. Worst case scenario - screen
capture the pdf one page at a time (Snag It will do that easily) and run it
through OCR. The encryption won't help there!

Don wrote:
"Graham Mayor" wrote in
:

No - and even in Acrobat which has that option, it will only stop
copying for about 10 minutes. If someone can see the document they
can copy it.

Not necessarily so Graham.

It's dependent upon what encryption method is used (40-bit or
128-bit). Also upon what security options are set and the number of
pages (there are some tools that will de-crpypt a 1-3 page 128-bit
encrypted however these tools choke on more pages.

BTW, the encryption additions require the full-version of Adobe and
not the free reader.
Even PDF's that have encryption set MINUS-a-password cannot be
de-crypted in the free reader.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Don Don is offline

"Graham Mayor" wrote in
:

It doesn't depend on anything of the kind. If you can see it you can
copy it. These methods only slow the user down. Worst case scenario -
screen capture the pdf one page at a time (Snag It will do that
easily) and run it through OCR. The encryption won't help there!

Your method is less than effective.
I tested it on a seven page PDF that is 100% pure text, no numerals (which
presents real issues, especially fractions).
Seven full pages of screen captures amounts to approx., 14 half page screen
captures.

I saved the resulting JPG's @ 100% non-compression (which most folks of
the masses are not even aware of).

The resulting OCR was approximately 60% accurate. (and all of this
utilizing the same spell checker that was used to created the initial RTF
from which the PDF was created. (My spell checker dictionary has been
supplemented extensively over a ten year period on "my widgets"). Anothers
dictionary not similarly focused would provide even lesser results.

99.99% of the population are simply not going to jump through this many
hoops for such ineffective results.
Hell! 90% of population have moved their scanner to a back corner of
their desktop after attemping a solitary image and/or OCR.

One example of ineffective OCR is the TIF images and their conversion to
text that are made available by the Library of Congress-American Memory
archives.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

You don't need a scanner! SnagIt will output to a graphics file that any
half decent OCR software will access directly. And SnagIt will capture the
full page (the full document even), not simply half the screen.

And yes you are right that 99.9% of people will not want to jump through
hoops. It's the other .1% you should be worried about. I will repeat
(because you are deluding yourself if you think otherwise) that if you can
see it you can copy it.

Just for the hell of it I converted a four page PDF using this process and
the only (Finereader 8) OCR read errors were two superscripted date ordinals
and two misread words. It took less than 10 minutes to produce a Word
document that was close to the original, and with a bit more time it could
have been made indistinguishable. It sounds as though you need better OCR
software.

Don wrote:
"Graham Mayor" wrote in
: